Truck Splits in Half in Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh NOES, I would NEVER have an aluminum body vehicle! Anti-Aluminum incoming!

If the cab still protected all the passengers, should it matter if it separated from the frame?

Originally Posted by Ifixyawata
Oh NOES, I would NEVER have an aluminum body vehicle! Anti-Aluminum incoming!

If the cab still protected all the passengers, should it matter if it separated from the frame?

Good point. Maybe they should just mount truck cabs with plastic zip ties and bungee cords?

Huge impact needed to tear apart and deform a vehicle like that, but still one of the drawbacks to body on frame construction even with modern material science and safety standards. An older truck in same impact conditions and they may well need the hearse and a mop instead of the ambulance. Though the cab tore off, it provided a protected cell with airbags that didn't collapse like a tin can. Crash energy went into shredding the truck instead of the occupant.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Speed kills. You need a lot of speed to make that much carnage.

My guess would be speed + distracted driving.

Looks like the mounts tore off but not before the airbags deployed, who knows how bad he would have been injured if the cab didn't separate.
Not saying its a good design feature, I suspect the ambulance chasers will file law suits all over the place and there may be recalls but even metal body mounts can fail in a crash, its only held together with a bolt and rubber bushing. Freak accident?

This isn't new BTW:

http://www.thedrive.com/news/14772/...tes-from-frame-in-bizarre-rollover-crash

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by billt460
How can that happen with the, "Military Grade Aluminum" they use?

LOL, because it is Military grade....

In all seriousness that is pretty crazy, but not sure that is the Aluminums fault. That was just a bad accident.

The GM cab separation was due to rust.
As for Ford their aluminum is thicker than steel,and can fend off minor dings and dents better than steel....but...it tears.Imagine good strength in a direct perpendicular impact,but offset it.particularly on a edge,and it tears.I would be backing up the inside of those body mounts with way thicker aluminum or even steel plates in a 6-12" circle to beef up a critical stress point.

In my years of being a Firefighter I've seen many vehicles in multiple parts. The controlled crash test videos, while giving a safety baseline, are in no way what actually happens when Murphy's law gets pushed to the limits.
Worst wreck i had to work was a quadruple fatality where the vehicle, a Honda accord, was tore into 3 peices after wrapping around a very large telephone pole.
The front seat area, door...driver in seat...center consol..passenger in seat and passenger door was stuck on the pole. The engine compartment tore loose and shot counter clockwise around the pole and the rear of the car ripped loose and shot clockwise around the pole.
All died except the passenger setting behind the driver, only one wearing a seat belt, and the car impacted on the drivers door. The rear of the car lodged into the side of a huge RV bus. My crew and I lifted up on the rear end piece of the vehicle and rolled it back from the RV and the guy undid his seatbelt and walked away. The other two in the back seat were shot under the RV and died on the way to the hospital and the two up front were dead on scene as the two front doors were compressed to within a foot of each other.

Could have been weather related … further down on that page a woman claims the wind blew snow in her purse … 🤔

I like zip-ties and bungee cords idea. The cab will act as a sort of escape pod in case of collision.

I guess the Aluminum is the Devil narrative sort of petered out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back