DT40, 5w40, Porsche 996 M96, 4885/59662

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been performing analyses on the car since purchased. First oil change was with Mobil1 oil and after some research decided to change to DT40 for a while. You can see the increased values in some items as a result. Recent spike in Aluminum a couple ppm was noticed but overall I'm being told these are pretty solid values for a car driven pretty hard on a daily basis (its a year round daily in New England).

oil.png

Originally Posted by Gubkin
DT40 ???

Driven Motor Oils - DT40 is the actual oil name within their brand.

Originally Posted by sasilverbullet
Glad you posted this! Let's see what the experts have to say!

coffee2.gif

How have you found the Liqui Moly in the 996? Any tests to share of your own?

I'd say any of the variation in the numbers is fairly inconsequential. As much as I'm not a fan of this brand (mostly due to pricing and their marketing), there's no denying they don't skimp on the moly.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
Get the IMS done yet?

Yes, done at 33k miles but it was pretty clean based on inspection.

Originally Posted by dcteague

coffee2.gif

I just bought the car, prev owner had Liqui Moly 5W-40 in it, after all the research I'm staying with it. Going to do my first oil change this weekend at 5K on the oil. I don't plan on doing a UOA, just a real good inspection of the oil filter and leftovers in the bottom of the oil filter cannister. I'm also going to install a magnetic drain plug.

I plan on staying with a OCI of 5K.

Originally Posted by dcteague

coffee2.gif

I just bought the car, prev owner had Liqui Moly 5W-40 in it, after all the research I'm staying with it. Going to do my first oil change this weekend at 5K on the oil. I don't plan on doing a UOA, just a real good inspection of the oil filter and leftovers in the bottom of the oil filter cannister. I'm also going to install a magnetic drain plug.

I plan on staying with a OCI of 5K.

I wasn't very familiar with any of this level of oil monitoring until this car, but given the cost to rebuild the engine, figured I'd monitor the oil until I was comfortable the OCI was well within range and may slow down on having the testing. Ultimately $150 in tests over 30k miles is well worth the insight into the engine status. Having a catastrophic failure occur that costs thousands made the $150 well spent sanity money.

With the large amount of make-up oil you're adding, there should be no problem going 10k miles and twice the time. Really, you're adding back so much fresh additive, it never has the chance to lose much additive chemistry. Good choice of oil though. DT40 has Lubrizol & Gibbs behind it, good stuff. If it was me I'd use Castrol 0w40 from walmart, or maybe spend a bunch and use Ravenol.

I got UOAs on my last car(BMW) and Blackstone helped identify an issue that saved me lots of $.
(They indicated a problem that was diagnosed as a faulty Vanos solenoid. Left faulty it could cause worn cam ledges which are extremely expensive to replace.)

Since I bought my 2002 996, I've gotten a UOA on the original oil when purchased, and one oil change that I've done with DT40.
I'm glad to see your posted results so I can compare it to mine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
With the large amount of make-up oil you're adding, there should be no problem going 10k miles and twice the time. Really, you're adding back so much fresh additive, it never has the chance to lose much additive chemistry. Good choice of oil though. DT40 has Lubrizol & Gibbs behind it, good stuff. If it was me I'd use Castrol 0w40 from walmart, or maybe spend a bunch and use Ravenol.

How does Lubri Moly 5W-40 full synthetic measure up to DT40?

How does Lubri Moly 5W-40 full synthetic measure up to DT40?
I'd guess the DT40 is slightly better, as it's a development (Lubrizol & others) from 2012, somewhat recently. It does depend on which LiquiMoly 5w40 you're referring to though. LiquiMoly (LM) Leichtlauf High Tech SAE 5W-40 has all the lastest specs, so its a tough call if DT40 is better ior not. ..... The only problem I have with LiquiMoly (LM) Synthoil High Tech 5w-40 & LM Synthoil Premium 5w40 is the old specs they meet.. LM Synthoil High Tech (& Premium) 5w-40 meets the old 1998 BMW LL-98 spec, and the old MB 229.3 spec, along with the A40. And I don't see LM Molygen 5w40 on A40 or 229,5 lists at all. ... ..... I prefer oils that meet tougher, later specifications, and/or Gibbs DT40 that has been engineered and tested recently to be a shear resistant 5w40 with PAO-Ester. LM 5w-40 is decent, but not my first choice.

Last edited:
DT40 was formulated specifically for this Porsche engine without extended drain intervals in mind. It uses more expensive base stocks (PAO) than what you'll find in Liqui-Moly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back