Interesting post on Quora about longer EU oci

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Astro14
The 3,000 mile myth isn't a myth.

It's the actual service interval recommended in the owner's manual of cars in the 70s. My ‘77 Olds recommended just that. Oils weren't very good, and carburetors were prone to contaminating the oil. By 3,000 miles, the oil was done, in those days. ....
That's nonsense, at least as regards mainstream cars operated in non-severe conditions. I have the manual to show Chevrolet recommended 4000-mile changes in 1962 (and I don't know how many years earlier). Ford was recommending 6000-mile changes by the mid- or late '60s. My '81 Mazda recommended 7500-mile intervals, which was typical, and had been for several years.

If you want a fuel system that contaminates the oil, try GDI!

Toyota has a 10,000 mile oil change interval. Their regular interval is more miles than the vast majority of UOA reports that are in this forum. I guess you can worry about your oil holding up, or just buy a Toyota.

Originally Posted by Bailes1992
...our 2012 BMW 320d gets 18k oil change intervals and after 6 years and 140k runs like the day it came out of the factory...

Impressive. I still don't see it convincing any of the diehards though!

Originally Posted by billt460
The owners manual clearly states you can use either. Not just a rogue dealer. I know how much you love to build your existence around being petty, but it doesn't change the fact either oil is acceptable to use, period. And show me where I ever stated the oil change interval was "wrong"?

The manual, which you went to great pains to point out does not state it's interchangable...as you stated, they tell you to change it back, and put a big yellow sticker on the car.

You changed your tune between then and now, as your confirmational bias is bet met by that dealer site, and are now claiming equivalence of the statements because your current stance contradicts your former emphatic statements...go back and read what you said to the posters who DID

Originally Posted by Shannow
So the engineers who designed your oil life monitoring system can't be trusted ?

You asked the question. It can be answered correctly in one word..... NO.

Exactly right. My 1970 Chevy Nova SS 396 / 375 H.P. had a 3,000 mile oil change interval. I never let it go that long, and changed it every 2,000 miles.

I owned a 1979 VW Rabbit Diesel, (4-cylinder non turbo) from 1979 until we moved to Arizona in 1991. (I got rid of it before we moved because it didn't have A/C). I forget what the manual recommended as far as oil change intervals. But I changed it every 2,000 miles.

Originally Posted by hpb
...our 2012 BMW 320d gets 18k oil change intervals and after 6 years and 140k runs like the day it came out of the factory...

Yeah, it's my Fathers car and he only does what the manual states. If it was mine I would probably half the interval, but I have no sound or logical reason for doing so. It seems to do just fine on the BMW specified 18k/2 year OCI.

Having debates at the moment for him to get the gearbox oil replaced. BMW say it's 'sealed for life' but ZF say 75k OCI.

I also worked with a bloke who had the same engine in a 2009 520d, he put 290k on the clock doing only the factory recommended 18k oil changes and again, the rest of the car fell apart long before the engine internals or the turbo.

My father was already doing 6000 mile oil changes, with API SE,SF oils in the late 70s, early 80s, as per what Ford recommended.
The original engine got to about 180k before the oil pump drive failed on the first of July 1991 on the Autibahn near Karlsruhe and it wasn't sludged or anything like that.
A good used engine was put in it and that's still in the car, it's gotten all sorts of oil over the years and varying intervals of 3000-5000 miles and it's fine, very clean inside.

Originally Posted by Shannow
The manual, which you went to great pains to point out does not state it's interchangable...as you stated, they tell you to change it back, and put a big yellow sticker on the car.

The car has only had one oil change. 0W-20. What part of this are you not getting?

Having debates at the moment for him to get the gearbox oil replaced. BMW say it's 'sealed for life' but ZF say 75k OCI.

I had mine replaced at 100k on the E46 with the sealed for life GM transmission and I was pretty happy with the result. Shifting became smoother after replacement.

Originally Posted by BossMoss
Read the comment by Mike Breen:

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-oil-c...orter-than-for-the-same-models-in-Europe

"Try telling a US Porsche owner that he can leave his oil changes to 20,000 miles and he'll laugh at you.

Try telling a European Porsche owner and he'll wonder why you are even talking about oil changes, he gets the car serviced as per the schedule and the idea of additional oil changes will have him laughing."

Quite an interesting discussion they are having. Does it change how you feel about motor oil?

* Not all engines oil and OCI can be the same - my Hyundai 2.4L GDI engine thrashes oil pretty servely dumpling soot and other nasty deposits back through the oil ... By 5,000 miles even a synthetic is pretty well trashed by this Hyundai GDI engine . Also in the USA Hyundai only allows : 5W20 , 5W30 & 10W30 oil grades or you risk your warranty - no using 0W40 or 5W40 oils as Europe VW Audi , BMW , Mercedes Benz specify .

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by hpb

That's insanely good. 18k.

I feel bad for the jiffy lubes of the world. This plus electric cars being more common, it's a dying breed. They need to evolve the service.

but maintenance is a ton cheaper than potential repairs.

And that's the crux of it all. Talk to Saab 9-5, Audi 1.8T or Carmey V6 owners from the early 2,000's and ask if they'd have rather paid for an oil change every 5,000kms (3k-miles) than for a new engine? I know what answer you'll get. Even my Saab 9-5 (prior to my ownership) had to have it's turbo replaced at 120,000kms (~100k miles,) because the in-appropriate service regime from the manufacturer had caused sludge and coking that had managed to sufficiently damage the turbocharger shaft and bearings. That was a $2500AUD repair for the previous owner. After cleaning the sump (it was bad, with the oil screen almost completely blocked) and using a low ash C3 oil (SHU 5W30 C3 / PP Euro L) for 25,000kms at 5-6,000kms changes. I had the sump off again to inspect, It was still spotless, no sludge, no baked on coke. Side benefit has been improved fuel economy and reduced oil consumption
smile.gif

Fuels, engineering and oils have gotten markedly better recently (especially the ULS fuel now available in most developed nations.) Which definitely improves the survivability of PCMO's.

However, with the increased use of DI and EGR for spark ignition engines there is now an added burden being placed on the lubrications system. Inlet sludging is real and are its effects the lubrication system. DPF and their burn off cycles in diesels have been know to servilely contaminate the oil (ford power-stroke comes to mind.) Thus for me and may other enthusiasts (especially with turbocharged cars. and extra $50-70 a year for an additional oil change is cheap insurance.

5th gear in the UK did this interesting test on old vs. new oil. I tend to agree that my fuel economy is better on a fresh sump of oil, but difficult to quantify as it is a marginal gain.

Regards
Jordan

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cujet
The fact is, they get it wrong, a lot, and we never know about it. From absurd fuel taxation driving people into underpowered small vehicles, while emptying their wallets.......

Let's not be too hard on them. After all, they need that $7.50+ a gallon gas to pay for all of that "free" health care they all enjoy so much.

"Most Europeans, including the British, the Irish, the Germans, the Italians and the French, pay somewhere between $7.50 and $8 per gallon, according to the International Energy Administration..... But that's still less than the $9.28 per gallon paid in Oslo...."

https://money.cnn.com/2011/03/10/news/international/gas_prices_worldwide/index.htm

I rather have "free" healthcare than the privilege of drooling over stealth jet fighters that will cost trillions of dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back