Wrong of me to boycott places that didn’t hire me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The unemployment rate is so low here that the requirement for hiring is the applicant must be breathing on his own and know what planet he is on.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by BossMoss
I couldn't even get an interview at a McDonald's. Yeah, no convictions. ...

These job all have to get done for society to function. Every job is important and you should not have any convictions about wanting to work anywhere and be a productive member of society rather than sitting at home collecting assistance when you are able bodied.

I never ever look down on anyone anywhere that is out there doing a job. I also never question anyones choice about why they might be doing that job and not something else because we don't know someones situation or reasons and quite frankly it's no ones business but theirs.

Good for you that you are open minded about taking any position you could get at the time.

As for boycotting someone that wouldn't hire you, my thoughts are that it's an employers market right now and they can be picky and choose folks with experience that are maybe a tad over qualified than folks they would have to spend time training and that might not have any or near enough experience. I think we as a society need to get back to training people for jobs and requiring less phony education on paper that doesn't mean the person is smart enough or qualified to do a job over someone with a good strong work ethic that just needs a chance and some training.

So I wouldn't boycott some place that wouldn't hire you unless they were down right nasty toward you when most are just being picky because they can.

Great post Stevie C

Yep! Stevie C is right on!

ANY job is a good job. I respect anyone who works,no matter what they do or where they work. The scum I look down on are the grown adults who either sponge off the government or their overly generous pampering parents.

There's a YouTube video that delves philosophically into this called "Dawood and the importance of earning a living," but it is a bit religious, so I can't talk about it here, just watch it if you want a deeper expansion on this idea
Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
The unemployment rate is so low here that the requirement for hiring is the applicant must be breathing on his own and know what planet he is on.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Which makes it really surprising that I've had such an experience.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by StevieC
My last job was like that... Worked really hard and they were really stingy. I didn't know before taking the position and was sort of told the 1/2 truth. Nevertheless I stuck with it and little did I know someone I worked with at this job who worked in a different department took notice and told his wife about my work ethic and that is how I have the job now. They approached me and made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

Since moving over life has been really great. My previous employer can't understand why I left though and they haven't been able to fill the position.

My point is sometimes it takes those jobs to get to a better place, all the while the employer thinks they have found a fish to take their stingy wages etc. and then an opportunity like mine happens and well it's their loss now.

If employers would just look at the returns of investing into their employees they would find that it would pay them back in spades with loyalty and strong work ethic instead of trying to cut corners thinking they are saving only to loose the person and have to start all over again. Plus that employee that left has now taken with then a copy in their mind of how the company they once worked for operates and could easily go to a competitor with this information.

That's how I got my current job. I was working for my dad doing construction and we had an electrician who was friendly to everyone. I asked him to take me on as an apprentice, and he agreed. A few months later I called him and asked him if he was still looking and little did I know he had been through multiple bad apprentices. He knew I was a good worker, and I outlasted his other apprentices. He also told me some our clients had complimented me. Hardcore, baby boomer level work ethic is mostly gone. Determined workers are super rare, and they will work crappy jobs because their work ethic is strong enough to offset the conditions/wages. Most of the time if management plays favorites, those people will shake lose/be plucked because they make other workers look lazy. Some people take "it's not what you know, but who you know" to dizzying extremes.

I just learned this week that there are 600,000 unfilled jobs across Canada. I think some of that is the discrepancy between public sector v private sector compensation. However, welfare benefits can't be that generious, and we have plenty of cheap labour with our open borders. Some employers are definitely optimistic when they post their vacancies. I've seen a few job vacancies that want an engineering degree for $25 an hour.

If its an entry level job for a recent graduate $25 an hour is normal. Perhaps even generous.

I disagree. The professional world is geared towards being conservative. A suit and tie is traditional conservative dress,and that will never go out of style. EVERYONE should own one good suit. If you dress lackluster to a job interview,the hiring manager will take that as if you don't care and are not taking it seriously. NEVER wear jeans to a job interview.

I have to agree here, every guy should own a suit. You never know when you might need to attend a funeral home/funeral or a job interview. I can't believe the manner of dress that some men don to attend a funeral.

Make sure your shoes are clean and polished. A little worn is ok as long as they are clean and polished.

Originally Posted by spasm3

I disagree. The professional world is geared towards being conservative. A suit and tie is traditional conservative dress,and that will never go out of style. EVERYONE should own one good suit. If you dress lackluster to a job interview,the hiring manager will take that as if you don't care and are not taking it seriously. NEVER wear jeans to a job interview.

I have to agree here, every guy should own a suit. You never know when you might need to attend a funeral home/funeral or a job interview. I can't believe the manner of dress that some men don to attend a funeral.

Make sure your shoes are clean and polished. A little worn is ok as long as they are clean and polished.

I admit that the last job interview I had, I didn't wear a suit. I have two suits-a "dark" suit and a light gray/off white "summer" suit, and I wouldn't have worn the latter for anything in December. While I was stumbling around getting ready for my 6:00AM flight to make it to the interview, I managed to rip out the seat of the pants on my black suit. Because of that, I pulled out what I thought was a safe stand-by-a pair of khaki pants and a navy blue blazer. Of course, I had on a dress shirt, a tie, and a pair of clean and polished dress shoes.

I guess it worked out alright as I got an offer for the job(even though I didn't take it).

I did skip a wearing a jacket for one other previous interview, but that was mostly in deference to the fact that it was bordering on 100º and since the interview was on a college campus and involved walking a mile or so after I'd parked. In that particular case, I did NOT get offered the job I was applying for, but did get an offer to teach a course as a part time lecturer(they actually ended up not hiring anyone in the position I applied for-I know that for a fact since I ended teaching a few classes and basically watched the position get split up and assigned to several other people in the department in the time I was there).

Even if one DOESN'T own a suit, these days by all means you should have at least a couple of pairs of dress pants, a tie or two(at a minimum), a dress shirt or two, and a sport coat or blazer. That gives you a lot of options and also typically won't stand out if you're in a situation where suits are normal. Of course, within reason I don't think there's such a thing as being overdressed for a job interview, and regardless of the job I can't imagine showing up without a suit-or something at least somewhat similar to it-and a tie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back