Shell Rotella T4 15W40 low ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know what the sulfated ash % is in the new T4 mix? I've looked at there literature and web site, but short of phoning a rep can't find any details other than (low ash).

All CJ-4 and CK-4 oils are limited to 1% SA and they all seem to be right at that limit. I haven't seen any of the newest PDS' in some time, but I would bet they're still the same.

Is there a new version of T4 besides the CK-4?
blush.gif

Edit- I see they mention "exclusive low ash formula" in the T4 description, but it's almost certainly the full 1% that is allowed. It won't be much lower than that if any.

Last edited:
I checked a few others for SA. Delo and Schaeffer's still show 1%, while Delvac 1300 shows 0.9% and Mystik JT8 says .92%. Valvoline PB shows
I can only guess, but I bet T4 is in the same ballpark.

Thanks, I've been looking at Delvac 1300 as well and like you said is .9%. As the T4 is used in the newer diesels with DPF's I'm assuming it's 1% or less but can't find anything written.

I'm considering using the Shell Rotella T4 15W40 in my Detroit 4-53T when it's back burning oil.:) I have a decent stash of Delo100 and Shell T1 40W, but am thinking of trying the newer 15W40 oils in it so it will have better cold starting abilities:)

Originally Posted by A310
Thanks, I've been looking at Delvac 1300 as well and like you said is .9%. As the T4 is used in the newer diesels with DPF's I'm assuming it's 1% or less but can't find anything written.

They'll all be like, as already mentioned, 1% or barely below. CJ-4 brought that about, and ACEA E9 has the same limit. Even ACEA E6 lubes stick to just under 1%. See here for E9, and links to E6 and the other ACEA specifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back