Can I use synthetic oil in my Honda equipment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, Bror Jace

Reference my several entries on this thread, including my year-end report just above. What do you think of my theory that a splash lubricated motor is better off using a thinner (0W30) rather than a thicker (15W40) motor oil? My Honda 5.5 hp seems to like the 0W30 M1 I am now using. It has gone through the hot summer here in Tennessee, with temperatures always above 90 and several mowings when it was 95 to 98. Absolutely no oil usage in 60.3 hours. This on a consumer grade engine that probably has 300 hours on it now. The mower was purchased in 2000 and I put the hour meter on it in August of 2004, so I am estimating the total hours.

I have a stock of M1 5W30, so I will probably go back to that. It is tempting, however to try a fill of OW20 or 5W20 just to see if it would burn any. As I said previously, it had absolutely no usage in 4 years of 5W30 M1 and 1 year of 0W30.

I use Amsoil 0W40(AFF) ATV oil in my Honda EU3000. It does not consume any oil and always starts easy. Thinner for starting in cold temps and good viscosity at running temp in all climates.

I have a 1988 Honda mower (commercial). It is used very hard doing hills and such. At least 50 hours per year. I have used a mix of oils including synthetic and have even skipped the normal annual oil changes. This engine does not burn any oil at all. It starts first pull every time!

Another vote for synthetic in small engines. I have had fantastic results with M1 in my small engines. Generator (severe duty), water pump and mowers all.

Chris

I have a Sears mower that I bought in 1979 and I have used what every synthetic oil was left over from my cars. I has been mostly Red Line, although there has been some Mobil 1, Maxima and some non-synthetic Castrol Syntec. This mower has been through a lot. I has been welded back together many times and the push handle is home made, the original died a long time ago. The air filter gets changed, often and the oil gets changed once or twice a year, that's 60 to 80 hours. This mower just keeps going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back