valve adjustment 08 2.3 ford/mazda??

Status
Not open for further replies.
is it necessary? the car is an 08 fusion 2.3, idles a little rough now. it idles really rough with the ac on at stop light while in gear and foot on break. To the point of almost stalling. If ipuit it in park or turn ac off its just a little rough again.
Ive done everything except change pcv or a valve adjustment. Ive been told the pcv nor a valve adjustment is ever necessary on this?
crazy thing, the pcv is probably a more involved job that valve adjustment on this car.
car has about 160k on it.

I just recently got an 07 mazda 3 with the 2.3, and don't have any experience with adjusting the valves, but on the vast majority of the forums I've been reading the first thing they say to check when experiencing rough idle is the motor mounts, and cleaning the throttle body. I know the general consensus on at honda 4-cylinders is they don't need adjusting if they aren't making noise.

Originally Posted by nwjones18
I just recently got an 07 mazda 3 with the 2.3, and don't have any experience with adjusting the valves, but on the vast majority of the forums I've been reading the first thing they say to check when experiencing rough idle is the motor mounts, and cleaning the throttle body. I know the general consensus on at honda 4-cylinders is they don't need adjusting if they aren't making noise.
What if the valves are too tight.

Originally Posted by nwjones18

Cleaning the intake and MAP sensor is important for a better running engine. I have cleaned mine 3-4 times and due to change out the plugs for the second time soon in my 2007 Fusion 2.3 with 231K. My engine runs great. The valves have never been touched.

Last edited:
Valve that is too tight can cause misfiring at idle due to loss of compression. Also it can lead to a burnt valve which is a major repair.

I've never done valve adjustment on my 2.3l engine to this day
I've replace fuel injectors preventively
I've replaced PCV just as preventively

the only things that needed attention right away were the fuel pump and the engine mounts, both done about a year ago

honestly in my case (Mazda6) it was not needed, it was fully functional but I replaced it anyway just because; and yeah it was painful procedure, but somehow I manage it;

I would go check that engine mount, the one on the passenger side that often fails (hydraulic) and send vibrations through the chassis; that could be of of the problems too
also, check your spark plugs and ignition coils

I thought only Hondas still needed valve adjustments now
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted by miden851
honestly in my case (Mazda6) it was not needed, it was fully functional but I replaced it anyway just because; and yeah it was painful procedure, but somehow I manage it;

I would go check that engine mount, the one on the passenger side that often fails (hydraulic) and send vibrations through the chassis; that could be of of the problems too
also, check your spark plugs and ignition coils

Ill sure check that out, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back