Is Pennzoil Ultra not LSPI friendly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Bjornviken
Ferrari emblem is on the SHU 5w-40 last time i did check
That's in Europe. Here in the U.S., the "Ultra" label is not on the 5w40 Ferrari approved oil. Here it's just Platinum. Names only, no big deal. 10w60 Platinum Racing oil is also has Ferrari approval, and again not marketed under the Ultra name here.

The Ferrari partnership is for PP Euro 5W-40 (Shell HU 5W-40), not PUP.
PUP 0W-40 is essentially an application-specific partnership with SRT (FCA).

Originally Posted by BossMoss
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Originally Posted by BossMoss
So, what do you conclude? That Platinum right now is just as good or better than Ultra?Should I spend the extra $ on Ultra?
Ultra used to be better than Platinum in piston cleanliness, and Pennzoil showed comparison pictures/graphs to show it.
I think the latest Pennzoil Platinum PP (SN+ and dexos1 Gen2 flavors) is just as good as the old Pennzoil Ultra SN for piston cleanliness these days, in 0w20, 5w20, and 5w30 SN grades. (Not talking about the Pennzoil Ultra 0w40 here.)
Current PP has high boron, higher than before, which I think gets the credit for piston cleaning. I can't be absolutely certain unless actual tests were revealed though.

Quite interesting. What a dilemma to have for their marketing team. "The back-up is better than the starter."

"We can't outright say it's better because then no one will want to buy a higher priced, lower quality juice."

What do you make of the PP Euro? Should be no problem to use that i like a Mustang?

Yet if you visit their website and click on the link for Ultra here is what they say:
Originally Posted by Pennzoil
" Our Best Full Synthetic Motor Oil with PurePlus® Technology
Pennzoil Ultra Platinumâ„¢ Full Synthetic Motor Oil

No other synthetic keeps your engine cleaner.1

And if you click here they still show it as their best oil: Pennzoil Comparison

Time to update their website? Maybe, maybe not. I'd rather wait to hear it from them, or ask instead of guess. jmo

If I were inclined to play Devil's advocate I'd say it might be better in an EFI engine than a DI engine, and the EFI engines are still the majority of what is on the road today.
wink.gif

Last edited:
IMO based on experience Ultra is more lasting before breaking down compared to PP, but it just cause LSPI on DI engine. For non-DI I believe PU is still the ultimate oil to use. In the past I ever question why PU caused ping on slightly burning oil engine even though the NOACK was one of the lowest before LSPI issue went mainstream.

I personally have been using PUP 5W-30 in my Elantra Eco (tGDI) and haven't had any issues over the past year, going on 27K miles. That being said, it does disappoint me to hearing that it isn't LSPI friendly due to the high amounts Ca.

What I find somewhat odd is the fact that when you put my car into their oil selector, Ultra is still their #1 recommended oil, followed by PP. I really love Ultra, but if it could cause issues down the line I guess I need to either switch over to PP or another oil... and considering my Ultra stash (I service 5 cars that all take 5W-30, three of which are tGDI and require ACEA A5 per Hyundai), this would be the time.

Originally Posted by scm
I personally have been using PUP 5W-30 in my Elantra Eco (tGDI) and haven't had any issues over the past year, going on 27K miles. That being said, it does disappoint me to hearing that it isn't LSPI friendly due to the high amounts Ca.

What I find somewhat odd is the fact that when you put my car into their oil selector, Ultra is still their #1 recommended oil, followed by PP. I really love Ultra, but if it could cause issues down the line I guess I need to either switch over to PP or another oil... and considering my Ultra stash (I service 5 cars that all take 5W-30, three of which are tGDI and require ACEA A5 per Hyundai), this would be the time.

I switched from PUP to PP for the Dexos1 Gen2 certification. Reduced timing chain wear (stretch) is reason enough to consider a D1 G2 oil. .

Originally Posted by turnbowm

I switched from PUP to PP for the Dexos1 Gen2 certification. Reduced timing chain wear (stretch) is reason enough to consider a D1 G2 oil. .

That's true. I guess now would be a good time to make the switch and leave the rest last 2 jugs of Ultra to the non GDI fleet and swap over to a D1 Gen 2 oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back