Need Ford Part # Spark Plug Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to the Ford dealer yesterday to get some new spark plugs for my Ranger. I gave the parts guy my VIN and told him to get me the same plugs that came on the truck from the factory. He didn't have plugs in stock, so I had him order some and I prepaid for them. Looking at the invoice, I saw he ordered part # AGSF24N. I looked online later and it appears these plugs are nickel-coated copper plugs, and my truck has platinum plugs. I later removed one of the plugs from my engine and sure enough, I have part # AGSF24PM. I know for a fact my plugs are the factory-original plugs, since I've owned the truck since it had 12k miles. I looked up plugs at fordparts.com and the only plug they list is the nickel ones, so I guess that explains why the parts guy ordered those. I tried looking up the AGSF24PM plugs, but the website doesn't even recognize that part #. Has that part # been superseded? I haven't been able to find that part # to purchase on any other website either; I can only buy equivalent plugs that have been cross-referenced from that number. And the cross-referenced equivalent plugs are not compatible with my engine according to every website I've visited?? I never knew buying spark plugs could be so confusing. I just want the same platinum plugs my truck already has. They're a pain to change and I don't want to do this job again anytime soon. Truck is a 2006 Ranger with the 4.0 SOHC V6.
Can anyone confirm that the plugs the parts guy ordered are copper, and what is the correct part number for platinum plugs?

I already looked at Rockatuo and they don't list a Motorcraft platinum plug for it. I wanted to stick with Motorcraft brand.

I show SP-412 / AGSF24N for your application. Fords that had the waste spark ignition came with different part number plugs on each bank but are replaced with one number for both banks. You can tell if they are original by the paint mark on the top of the plug.

One bank of plugs is AGSF24PM

Other side is AGSF24GM...

Try SP 498, AGSF24FM, AGSF24FMF6

https://www.rockauto.com/en/partsearch/?partnum=AGSF24%2A

Rock Auto

Last edited:
I had a 10 year old GMC truck. Since the truck was made the ‘reccomended' Spark plus changed twice, to a modern iridium. I wouldn't be hung up on the Motorcraft brand but get the best for your engine. I'm sure that plug you have cross references to other, great plugs.

Originally Posted by exranger06
Thanks bdcardinal. Can you tell me if the SP-412s are platinum like the factory ones?

The box says Nickel and the plug itself is not marked with anything. It is a bummer too because those SOHC 4.0L engines are no fun to change plugs on.

Last edited:
I know it's not your truck but my Ford 1996 Zetec Contour has a waste ignition and the factory plugs were different for 2 plugs. 2 had the platinum pucks on the positive side and 2 had the platinum puck on the ground side. The replacement Motorcraft plugs were double platinum, I guess to avoid installing the wrong platinum puck plug in the cylinder. I guess they saved money by using single specific platinum plug from the factory. I would just use a double platinum plug, it'll last a lot longer than the standard nickle plug. Those V-6 engines are not the easiest ones to change plugs on, longer lasting is better.

Whimsey

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
It is a bummer too because those SOHC 4.0L engines are no fun to change plugs on.

I just replaced the plugs and wires on a friend's '98 Explorer, while I did use NGK G-Power plugs and Motorcraft wires(his truck was misfiring, 20 year old wires don't like to be manhandled) it wasn't a walk in the park.

Removing the passenger side wheel and using a ratchet + a socket on top of a 5/8" spark plug socket helped for the rearmost plug on that bank. A pair of spark plug boot pliers is a must.

Yes, I'm aware of the two different part # plugs for each bank. I'm sure if I pulled one of the plugs on the pass. side bank I would find a AGSF24PGM plug, but I've only pulled one plug on the driver's side so far. Now I'm trying to do some more research on these nickel plugs. Ford says they're a nickel alloy that's an "alternative" to platinum. I'm trying to find out if they last as long as platinum. If they do, then I guess there's no reason not to use them.

Bdcardinal, are the AGSF24PM and PGM plugs still available, or have those numbers been discontinued?

Originally Posted by nthach
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
It is a bummer too because those SOHC 4.0L engines are no fun to change plugs on.

I just replaced the plugs and wires on a friend's '98 Explorer, while I did use NGK G-Power plugs and Motorcraft wires(his truck was misfiring, 20 year old wires don't like to be manhandled) it wasn't a walk in the park.

Removing the passenger side wheel and using a ratchet + a socket on top of a 5/8" spark plug socket helped for the rearmost plug on that bank. A pair of spark plug boot pliers is a must.

I've never changed the plugs on a 4.0 SOHC before, but I've done them on two different 4.0 OHV Explorers. Removing the wheel and the plastic inner fender liner is a must for the passenger side bank. Not totally necessary for the driver side bank, but makes things easier. Once the inner fenders are out of the way, it's an easy job. But pulling the liners is a pain.

Go one year back on Rock Auto, use a 2005 Ford Ranger 4.0...

The Motorcraft spark plug I listed is there...

If changing the spark plugs is difficult on this car, then you need to consider iridium. Denso Iridium TT, or Denso Iridium Long-Life. Unfortunately, NGK does not make a Laser Iridium for your Ranger; otherwise, I'd recommend that
smile.gif

Since Ford is still using Fram Group as a spark plug supplier, and a good chunk of Motorcraft plugs are Autolite I should have used Autolite Iridium XPs.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
If changing the spark plugs is difficult on this car, then you need to consider iridium. Denso Iridium TT, or Denso Iridium Long-Life. Unfortunately, NGK does not make a Laser Iridium for your Ranger; otherwise, I'd recommend that
smile.gif

I second the Denso TT line of plugs. Good plugs and very reasonable on RockAuto. I don't buy into the "must use OEM plugs" myth.

I'd use the Autolite APP5144 double platinums or the XP5144 iridium plugs. The waste spark setup on Fords will eat the center electrode on one bank of the engine. I don't think the Motorcraft fine-wire plugs are double platinum. I've had very good results with the Autolites in the coil-pack Ford engines.

Originally Posted by delaware74b
I'd use the Autolite APP5144 double platinums or the XP5144 iridium plugs. The waste spark setup on Fords will eat the center electrode on one bank of the engine. I don't think the Motorcraft fine-wire plugs are double platinum. I've had very good results with the Autolites in the coil-pack Ford engines.

I also like (and have used A LOT) Autolites. I've gotten great service from their Platinums (AP), Double Platinums (APP) and the XP Iridiums. I have the XP's in out Jeep GC 3.6L as well as my CTS. I run the regular Copper Autolites in my turbo 87 Buick GN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back