Can I use synthetic oil in my Honda equipment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
TallPaul not to worry SM oil is better quailty than SL oil, if these are air cooled engines you might get more oil consumsion with 10w30 than with SAE-30. I think Redline would be overkill in these engines how about Valvoline sae
-30 or Havoline sae 30 over 50f. and under 50f. 10w30.

I have a Sears Craftsman mower with the same Honda engine you have. Since break-in, I have used M1 5w30, changed once a year. I put around 50 hours per year on this mower, and it has never used a bit of oil between yearly changes.

Last August, I put an hour meter on it to see just exactly how much it was being used. The hour meter now has 42 hours on it. I changed oil about two months ago, and that change now has 17 hours on it. I used M1 0w30 this time, just to see if it would use any. So far, not a drop has been used. This mower has probably got a little over 200 hours on it now. The M1 seems to have served it well.

The subject line is a FAQ at honda-engines.com. In response they say:
quote:

"Honda engines are developed, tested and certified with petroleum based motor oils as a lubricant. Any motor oil used in our engines must meet all oil requirements as stated in the owners manual to include the recommended oil change intervals."

For my engine (GC160) the manual says:
quote:

Use 4-stroke motor oil that meets or exceeds the requirements for API service classification SH, SJ, or equivalent. Always check the API service label on the oil container to be sure it includes the letters SH, SJ, or equivalent. SAE 10W-30 is recommended for general use. Other viscosities shown in the chart may be used when the average temperature in your area is within the indicated range.

So it seems like synthetic if okay, but why didn't they just say so?
dunno.gif

Also, I am not sure that SM would be equivalent to SH or SJ. Oil bottles usually say "exceeds" not "equivalent." This may not be the same thing in that there is less zddp in the newer oils. Anyway, I probably will run Redline after break in and so zddp is not a worry there.

It's my understanding that a newer oil specification is always meeting or exceeding the previous spec. If there is less ZDDP in newer oils, perhaps there's more moly in it to compensate? I don't know...but I wouldn't hesitate to put any SM oil in any engine today.

Excellent. I will probably run the Redline, even if it is overkill. But first about 25 - 30 hours of Citgo Ultraguard until it is broken in.

quote:

Originally posted by 1999nick:
I have a Sears Craftsman mower with the same Honda engine you have. Since break-in, I have used M1 5w30, changed once a year. I put around 50 hours per year on this mower, and it has never used a bit of oil between yearly changes.

Last August, I put an hour meter on it to see just exactly how much it was being used. The hour meter now has 42 hours on it. I changed oil about two months ago, and that change now has 17 hours on it. I used M1 0w30 this time, just to see if it would use any. So far, not a drop has been used. This mower has probably got a little over 200 hours on it now. The M1 seems to have served it well.

Just an update. The hour meter I put on my Craftsman Honda the middle of last August just hit 50 hours, and this is 25 hours on my last oil change where I put in M1 0W30. The oil still looks almost new, and no consumption. By the way, I got this mower in 2000, so it has about 250 hours on it now. The M1 0W30 is apparently doing fine in the 95 to 99 degree heat we have been having lately.

1988 Honda HR194,M1 10w30 been in service since 1995,no useage,leakage or smoke..By no means scientific but the oil is still a decent color and will not be changed,I will sample when it meets the big scrap heap in the sky and see what the oil had left if anything????? Should be interesting,10+ years,with say 4-500 hours..

quote:

Originally posted by Big John:
1988 Honda HR194,M1 10w30 been in service since 1995,no useage,leakage or smoke..By no means scientific but the oil is still a decent color and will not be changed,I will sample when it meets the big scrap heap in the sky and see what the oil had left if anything????? Should be interesting,10+ years,with say 4-500 hours..

Very interesting , and amazing to me that you have had no usage in 10 years. I have been changing the M1 in my mower yearly, but this year I did consider letting it go for 2 years because it still looked so good. Yours is probably a commercial grade engine; mine is the 5.5 hp OHC consumer grade engine, so I only expect it to last half as long. So far it has lasted 250 hours, with no consumption on yearly changes. I may try 2 years on this change, and see how it looks.

It's a 4hp,19 inch cut.Cost me about 400 bucks in 88 and I did use it commercially for 2 years and it got straight 30w oil changes twice a year.My dad had it for 3 years and I don't think he changed it.I've had it since and changed it annually for 2 years and have been on this fill of oil for 10 years..It starts second pull and the bag still has enough material left and catches most all the grass sent to it..The handle is broken in several places and has been Rube Goldberged each time.The wheel are still good and run true and the throttle and blade engagement cables are original.The deck is cracked in the front and the top front of the engine cover is dented and scratched where it got pinned under my trailer after falling off the front of it...Wow sorry for the rambling,kinda getting sentimental here and may just give ol bessie a oil change and keep her going as long as possible..

This is a year-end update on my Craftsman mower with the 5.5 hp Honda OHC engine. The 0W-30 Mobil 1 now has 60.3 hours on it, according to the hour meter. It will have been in for a year in the latter part of March 2006. So far, it has not used a drop. It still shows about a sixteenth of an inch above full, and has a nice golden color to it. I'm still using it at least once a week to clean up leaves; it does not have any downtime to speak of. It may go 2 or 3 weeks in January and February without being used.

The mower is approaching 300 hours of use, and I have now replaced all four wheels. The front {drive} wheels were worn smooth, and both rear wheels had the tread split apart. I had to replace one rear wheel last year, and about a month ago, the other one failed. The gear in the front drive mechanism wore down and it lost drive about a month ago, also, and I had to get a new transmission. It came already attached to a new axle and was a new design. Cost 75.00. I also installed a new drive belt. In previous times, I would have junked a mower that needed new wheels and a transmission, but I am old and retired, and have a lot of time on my hands. Besides, I want to see just how long that Honda engine will last, given once a year oil changes with Mobil 1. The present fill should have around 75 hours on it when I change it next March.

tallpaul, I have a Honda GC 160 5.5hp on a PressureWave pwr washer from Sam's Club. I bought it this past spring.

My manual says the same thing.

I used the Honda oil it came with for the 1st 5hrs, then dumped it and refilled with more Honda oil and ran for another 15-20 hours this summer/fall.

I just dumped it (it was 2oz low) and refilled with Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic 5-30 API SL from my stash. I'll try this for the upcoming season.

Plus, I am running M1 5-30 API SL in a 15 year old B&S 3.5hp Murray mower. It had not been used for years until I got it this past spring. It only smokes a little at start up and consumes no oil. I'll change it out next month for some M1 10-30.

TP, maybe add 1oz of VSOT to your brew if you are worried about API SM syn's.

Do you have an update for us?

I have had 2 Honda ATV's since 2000, both Rancher 4x4 and I have used nothing but synthetic oil in them. I also have a 4 yo Honda lawnmower and use synthetic oil in that also.

Amsoil in all of them.

Honda is a company that push's Honda products big time. If they had a synthetic oil, they would be all for it. They want you to use nothing but Honda logos parts and oils. I know very well a Honda Power Sports retailer and he has told me on more the one occasion that Honda has pushed him hard to carry all the service products and to push them. The more he pushs and buys, the easier it is to get more ATV's to sell.

Do most of you get the little puff of smoke when taking your mower from idle to full speed?

My mower is maybe 4 years old, and does this every time. I wish it didn't burn oil being so new!

burnout, it might be gas, not oil. try moving the throttle from idle to full slowly as not to load up the carb. some do this, some don't. also check and see if you might be a little over the full line with the oil capacity. being anal, i always let my mower warm a bit before loading {cutting} as well. just a bit, say 30 sec.

burnout, I get a puff of smoke when throttling up the 4518 Honda tractor, but I'm 99% sure it's black smoke and gasoline, not oil.

The engine doesn't burn a drop of oil ... even after 100 hours of use in varying temps from cool to heat wave.

--- Bror Jace

I like the 15W-40 oils in many outdoor power equipment applications but I can't recommend against a 0W-30 or 5W-30 synthetic either ... especially if you are getting zero consumption.

One thing I'd be wary of is long drains based on light color alone. I'd still change it after a year or two. Drain it hot, hot, hot and see how much silver is floating around in the used oil. Without a UOA, I'd do this to see how the thinner oils are doing regarding wear protection.

Oh, and is Craftsman made by MTD? We have a Honda 4518 tractor which is about 9 year old and has about 800 hours of use on it. None of the problems you mentioned ... just a couple drive belts for the mower deck in all that time.

--- Bror Jace

sears mowers are made by ayp (american yard products) which is owned by electrolux, which makes weedeater, poulan, and husqvarna. anyway, mobil ones a good choice for any small engine thats is good running condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back