What other hobbies do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Besides my family and VWs, I am also part of the Weber kettle club. I own 15 Webers to date, all kettle version in all shapes and sizes. I find them, either clean up and/or restore them, then cook. I have a dedicated smoker, steak one, chicken one, and lil cooker for breakfasts. Most I have ever spent on one is 60 bucks for the resto. I'll get a picture of them after work tomorrow.

Been collecting flashlights for the past 2 years or so... I think I'm up to about 30. I lost count.

At least it's not a very expensive hobby.

Here are some of them:
[Linked Image]

Stuff that takes my fancy.

Chainmail...I'm over that now after I made a Coif, and won a couple prizes.
Knitting....I made a Dr Who scarf and am over that too.
Death's head whistles
Terra Preta in my back yard (which got me charcoal making)
Extracting chemicals from household items.
Trying to make space coolers.

I get down a path, then achieve something recognisably OK (not mastery), then drop it and move on to the next thing that I come across

Going to have to up the ante over the next 10 years...I CAN'T hit retirement from 40 years doing stuff in power stations and not have a proper hobby to occupy the time.

Bike riding has been the one that has stuck with me. At 61 getting out on a trail with the dog running along doing dog stuff still gives me that still a kid feeling. I refurb older decent mountain bikes and give to people who show an interest. One guy my age thanks me and tells me how much fun he's having riding every time he sees me. Shooting, camping, hiking, making things out of wood & metal, reading books. Hmm, maybe I'm too busy.

Just getting back to some of them after almost a year of selling and buying houses and moving.

Herpetology

I keep Marginated, Cherryhead and Hermann's Tortoises in the back yard. One of each. Really easy and curiously awesome beings.

In the past I also bred and kept different specie of rat snakes and spinytailed goannas (monitor lizards).

Originally Posted by wemay
Herpetology

I keep Marginated, Cherryhead and Hermann's Tortoises in the back yard. One of each. Really easy and curiously awesome beings.

In the past I also bred and kept different specie of rat snakes and spinytailed goannas (monitor lizards).

I have two red eared sliders that are about 6 years old. They're tame as puppies! Some day I want get an alligator snapper.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
My main hobby is record collecting. I just bought these two:

My sister was quite a bit older than I. She passed away when I was about 8. I inherited her record collection. I remember a Doors strange days album with band members names written on it. Being an 8 year old I thought it made a great frisby
frown.gif

Golf.

I've started painting. Will resume that when winter hits and can't play golf.

Bowling. Goal to average 215 this season.

Originally Posted by Chris142
My main hobby is record collecting. I just bought these two:

My sister was quite a bit older than I. She passed away when I was about 8. I inherited her record collection. I remember a Doors strange days album with band members names written on it. Being an 8 year old I thought it made a great frisby
frown.gif

Aw man that's a GOOD album!! I have two or three mono press copies of it
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by wemay
Herpetology

I have two red eared sliders that are about 6 years old. They're tame as puppies! Some day I want get an alligator snapper.

Very cool. I almost got a snapper. Not a alligator though, they get entirely too big for the space i have.

Acting, but mostly the voice work side of it.
I find seamless transitions into roles when I spend time working on scales, enunciation and voice projection. Something most of my peers never do since "we aren't singers".
It's kinda like working from the "inside out" vs "outside in". It's more natural, and your body and actions will organically follow suit to what words your saying and how they are being spoken.

It's really amusing walking around Canadian cities looking like I'm part east indian and African (which I am), but with a Midwestern US accent. My Caucasian gf says "you speak english better than most white ppl"...always get looks of shock and amazement from everyone within earshot.
lol.gif

true story

Well, I'm going to be a little different than most folks probably, and certainly not nearly as cool as vintage Doors vinyl!

I'm a licensed ham radio operator, but I'm much more interested in listening to mil/diplo/intel stations than I am yakking with other hams. Up here in Alaska I have excellent reception for eastern Russia and the Pacific on HF (shortwave), so there's quite a bit of interesting stuff out there. Much of it is digital and encrypted, but there are still interesting voice stations. Here's one example of a Russian intel station sending a message encoded in 60 five-figure number groups with a synthesized male voice in Russian. Direction finding indicates the transmitter site is somewhere in the Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky area:

http://www.tibor.org/s06-7-10-16.mp3

Unfortunately I started recording while that transmission was already in progress, so it doesn't capture the entirety of it.

Here's another recording of an over-the-horizon radar, most likely Chinese, but possibly Russian:

http://www.tibor.org/8704u-7-13-2016.mp3

These are both a couple of years old, but are some of the better recordings I've made. Fun and challenging stuff!

Being a full time college student I haven't had much time lately, but I love taking the Jeep out and exploring the desert. My grandpa owns a gold mine, so we go out there a lot too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My wife & I are globe-trotting scuba divers when time permits. It's been a while since our last dive trip.

I'm getting back into hunting and marksmanship again after a long hiatus.

I love to cook outdoors with multiple gas grills & smokers including a trailer mounter 24" diameter smoker.

Military history buff and (non-computer based) simulation and gaming.

Originally Posted by Nyogtha
I'm getting back into hunting and marksmanship again after a long hiatus.

If I can find the time again! I never did a lot of hunting, but I can spend hours and hours at the range without getting bored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back