Ceramic tint on home windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone used ceramic tint on their home windows?

I have a west facing, single pane sliding, glass door with aluminum framing that lets a lot of heat in. I've thought about switching it out with a good replacement, but the tint would be a much less expensive IF it works.

My home faces west. I have a storm door that i applied Gila platinum heat film on the exterior. It keeps the front door much cooler.

Originally Posted by Toy4x4

I have a west facing, single pane sliding, glass door with aluminum framing that lets a lot of heat in. I've thought about switching it out with a good replacement, but the tint would be a much less expensive IF it works.

We have 12 west facing windows, some as large as 6 feet by 6.
Had 3M Night Vision 35 film put on 12 years ago when the house was new, filters out all UV and forgot what percentage of inferred.
The reason for the film was to protect the carpet and furniture as we did not want to spoil the openness of the house by installing blinds and curtains.
12 years of southern sun still has not faded our furniture.. I do not remember if it is ceramic or not, Fast forward to 1 year ago, had ceramic window film put on my wifes car, Pro Tint and you can CLEARLY feel less heat form the sun when the sun is shining on the film vs no film.
Hope this helps, to me, stay with reliable companies like the two I mentioned and read up on the types they offer, you can then get a sample to try out.

Last edited:
3M makes a great ceramic film that blocks a large percentage of heat. It's pricey, but will definitely keep your place cooler. AZ means you won't be regretting the decision in the winter because you lost all that free solar heating
smile.gif
Ask me how I know here in Indiana...

Low E, argon filled windows provide the best heat reduction while still transmitting much of the visible light. But remember, there are variations of Low E windows and the number of coatings, and therefore variations in performance. I have Low E/argon windows in my FL home. I'm sitting here at the computer, at 9:10 AM with the sun coming directly through the window un obstructed, it's bright and "slightly" heating the right side of my face. But my windows are not the high end/high performance Low E3 (3 coatings) windows that are currently available. Even so, my cooling bills are very low.

Nothing the sun is hitting, including the black things on my desk, are getting anything other than slightly warm. Put the same item outside on the other side of the window, and it will be 140 degrees in a minute.

Tint will reduce light considerably. That may or may not be good. I like my house nice n bright. Hence the choice of "cheapie" Low E windows.

Last edited:
Some insulated glass requires the tinting be on the outside, not inside. If the reflective material is on the inside heat can build up in between the panes and crack them.

Is this ceramic tint applied to the outside of the outer pane?

The good thing about ceramic tints is they don't have to be dark to work well. For a single pane, you don't have to worry about which side to apply it.

I put some reflective tint on my single pane sliding patio door probably 20 years ago (don't remember the brand or any other details of it, but was from Home Depot). While it is needing replacement now, it still blocks a lot of heat (has the sun shining in it from early morning to almost mid-day). I have a doggy door panel in that door (double pane, no idea on e-rating) and even now the tinted glass blocks more heat than that does.

Do not get the cling on stuff though, that is junk. You can do the install yourself, it is super easy because it is just a big flat piece of glass, having a helper does make it easier though.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot

Is this ceramic tint applied to the outside of the outer pane?

As far as I know, all tints are on the inside. I've never heard of tint for the outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back