CLP-4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently placed an order on Amazon and threw this in my cart:

CLP-4

I was thinking that the next time I change the plugs in my Accord (which I plan to drive FOREVER), I'd give each cylinder an 1 ounce of this solvent and let it sit over night. My goal would be to do some cleaning/freeing up of the rings and ring lands. Obviously, I'd hope to prevent this car from becoming an oil burner somewhere down the line.

What do you think? Good idea? Bad idea?

Do you have a general procedure that you'd recommend? I was thinking I'd remove the plugs while the engine was cold and simply pour 1 oz. into each cylinder and let it sit over night. With the plugs out, and a towel over the spark plug holes, I'd crank the car over for a few seconds and let it set another few hours. Then re-install the plugs and drive as normal. That's what I had in mind....

I always keep a few cans quarts of Kreen around. Every year, the Accord get 1 pint in crankcase and a pint in the tank. I thought about using Kreen as a preventative soak, but I've so many great things about this CLP-4 solvent.

If the rings are stuck due to carbon build-up, you would have better luck using Berryman B-12 Chemtool as an overnight soak. You would need to change the oil immediately afterwards and again shortly after that, but the carbon would be long gone.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
If the rings are stuck due to carbon build-up, you would have better luck using Berryman B-12 Chemtool as an overnight soak. You would need to change the oil immediately afterwards and again shortly after that, but the carbon would be long gone.

Nothing is stuck. I'm just looking to do a little PM to prevent such a thing from happening.

Doubt it will do much. I use that on my all my firearms and it works great but it’s not magic. If you have baked on carbon it still requires scrubbing and/or a stronger solvent (I’m looking at you 11-87 gas piston). That said I’d love to hear about your results. Are you looking to reduce oil consumption or blow by? Can you do a before and after bore scope?

Originally Posted By: buck91
Doubt it will do much. I use that on my all my firearms and it works great but it’s not magic. If you have baked on carbon it still requires scrubbing and/or a stronger solvent (I’m looking at you 11-87 gas piston). That said I’d love to hear about your results. Are you looking to reduce oil consumption or blow by? Can you do a before and after bore scope?

I don't really think there will be any "results"....right now, my car only burns maybe 1/3 of a quart in 8-9k miles. Virtually nothing. I'm not trying to "fix" anything. I'm only looking to maybe keep the rings in as good as condition as I can to prevent troubles down the road.

My friend has a bore scope. I might look at the piston tops next time I remove the plugs and see what it looks like in there.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Sounds like a complete waste of $7 to me.

Hard to "completely waste" $7?

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Why do you want to put Teflon in the combustion chamber?

Breakrfee hasn't had PTFE in the formulation in a number of years.

I'll use Breakfree CLP on my firearms for routine cleaning and lubrication as well as rust prevention... but if they are real dirty I'll do a two step process with a solvent then lubricant. It certainly wouldn't do anything for an engine that had serious buildup and I have my doubts that it would prevent any buildup either, since modern oils are pretty good about keeping engines clean in the first place. Sounds like a good test for that guy that runs the Project Farm channel on YouTube though.

I guess I might put some into the cylinders of an engine that had sat for a while to provide a little extra lubrication on startup but that's only because I have it around. I wouldn't buy it for this purpose though since there are other products designed for this purpose that probably would do a better job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back