Catch Cans Work - Toyota D4-S 3.5L V6st (Proof)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I posted a follow-up in another thread I wanted to post this under this title for making it easier to search for in future for other members.

I recently installed a catch can on my Toyota 3.5L Direct/Port Injected V6 to see what oil it would catch from the PCV system. This engine is running Amsoil 0w20.

Proof that catch cans work is right here. 250 miles (400km) of driving yielded this.

View of what the Catch Can caught:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/114ottfq9dwt0uXEhR1OS1SpM-816dqvc/view?usp=sharing

Other related thread: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/u...9-caddy-cts-v-see-it-working#Post4860045

Needless to say this catch can will be staying on my new Toyota even though it has PFI along with DI, the less oil going through the combustion chamber the better for carbon deposits, the better for LSPI, and the better to keep valves cleaner not to mention limiting how much Zinc goes through the converter in exhaust emissions.

I will report back at the 1,000km (600 Mile mark) and continue until I change the oil to see what it catches in the whole period.

Last edited:
How much didn't it catch or how much of that would have actually made it to the combustion chambers? Millions of Toyota products are running around all over the world without one with no issues whatsoever.

I'm not saying it's an issue and a catch can is required, what I'm saying here is that the catch can does what it claims to do and with things like LSPI, carbon build up on valves, carbon in the combustion chamber, and the Zinc/Moly in the oil poisoning the converter over time the more you can eliminate going through the engine and out the exhaust the better.

I'm going to install a 3/8" cellulose fuel filter on the "out" of the can before it goes back into the engine to see if it catches further vapour the can didn't.

This is just an experiment. Only the person running the can decide if it's of benefit to them. I'm not advocating this for everyone.
This was only to answer the question if cans actually work because there was debate here that they were a waste of money.

Last edited:
I don't believe LSPI is an issue on your rig regardless, since it isn't forced induction. It's predominantly a phenomena associated with direct injected turbocharged engines.

I'd love to see if there's a difference in what the can catches between different brands of oil and if changing viscosity matters.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
I don't believe LSPI is an issue on your rig regardless, since it isn't forced induction. It's predominantly a phenomena associated with direct injected turbocharged engines.

I don't think so either but hey, you never know... If anything this stops as much oil going through and baking on the valves or adding to carbon on the pistons or even poisoning the converter with Zinc over time. Not that this is all a huge issue but every little bit helps. And since I have this in place I might as well leave it there for whatever benefit it might provide in the long run.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edwardh1
how do so many Toyotas run so long without them?

Read this from above...

Originally Posted by StevieC
I'm not saying it's an issue and a catch can is required, what I'm saying here is that the catch can does what it claims to do and with things like LSPI, carbon build up on valves, carbon in the combustion chamber, and the Zinc/Moly in the oil poisoning the converter over time the more you can eliminate going through the engine and out the exhaust the better.

I'm going to install a 3/8" cellulose fuel filter on the "out" of the can before it goes back into the engine to see if it catches further vapour the can didn't.

This is just an experiment. Only the person running the can decide if it's of benefit to them. I'm not advocating this for everyone.
This was only to answer the question if cans actually work because there was debate here that they were a waste of money.

Last edited:

I don't think so either but hey, you never know...

Be interesting to see what it catches with different oils, as you said you are going to try others, correct?

Catch cans work, like everyone who's used one will attest. Catching anything that would normally go into the intake manifold is a good thing IMO, so why not?

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I'd love to see if there's a difference in what the can catches between different brands of oil and if changing viscosity matters.

Be interesting to see what it catches with different oils, as you said you are going to try others, correct?

I was thinking the same thing. I'm going to run the Amsoil 0w20 until the break in is done and then do a couple baseline UOA's and then I made a promise to another user on here that I would run something like M1 0w20 to see if there is a difference in oils and wear numbers comparing it to my baseline UOA's.

I then want to play around with 0w30 and the 5w20 and 5w30 to see what that does to the catch can. This will be some time though...

Edit: I think I will add Valvoline Synpower Modern Engine to that list of trials as well.
wink.gif

Last edited:
That's an impressive amount of oil caught in 250 miles what do you estimate would be caught in between one oci ?
Thanks for the results, very interesting.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by rollinpete
That's an impressive amount of oil caught in 250 miles what do you estimate would be caught in between one oci ?
Thanks for the results, very interesting.
thumbsup2.gif

I was surprised too. I thought maybe a light coating but no measurable amount would be seen in that low of mileage. I left the oil in there so I can see the total at 1,000km (600 miles) and then will leave that in there until I change the oil some thousands of kilometers later.

Maybe they are letting a little oil go through on purpose to lubricate the top of the cylinder for fuel economy purposes? or maybe it's just because the 0w20 is like water and hard to contain?

I'm interested to take this further and try other viscosities and oil brands.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by demarpaint

I was thinking the same thing. I'm going to run the Amsoil 0w20 until the break in is done and then do a couple baseline UOA's and then I made a promise to another user on here that I would run something like M1 0w20 to see if there is a difference in oils and wear numbers comparing it to my baseline UOA's.

I then want to play around with 0w30 and the 5w20 and 5w30 to see what that does to the catch can. This will be some time though...

Edit: I think I will add Valvoline Synpower Modern Engine to that list of trials as well.
wink.gif

You can get Motul 0w-30 on Amazon on sale periodically. Whenever it comes up I grab a case. I'd give that a run too if you haven't used a Motul product yet. I'd say it was one of the quietest if not the quietest and smoothest oils we ran in the Expedition. Not that that means much, but it was an interesting observation.

You better go back to the dealer and report the huge amount of oil in the catch can. There has to be a problem.

Yes catch cans catch oil. Did it catch 90% or 10%? Can't hurt but will it actually prevent a problem?

Kind of like deer whistles...

For the record I have a new commercial oil/air separator filter that will go on the Silverado when I get to it, just because it was given to me.

On the flip side, tens of millions of Toyotas are running around the world without catch cans and without issues.

Again because no one seems to read the post above where I explained the "Why" behind this. This is only an experiment, I'm not saying it's needed. Since I have it in place I will just leave it in place because catching the oil can't do anything but help for the reasons I mentioned above.

It's only because I wanted to prove that they do the job they claim. Whether there is an actual benefit or not is to be debated in the long term.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CT8
You better go back to the dealer and report the huge amount of oil in the catch can. There has to be a problem.

No, I had an old VW Cabriolet that was in an accident. I had a catch can setup on its breather and it caught similar amounts. It wasn't a true catch can with baffling, just something I concocted together to prevent oil from hitting the air-float in the mechanical fuel injected setup by Bosch. In that oil would coat the flap used to control fuel distribution and would cause it to stick and if that happened the engine would end up flooded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back