Continental brand belts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continental purchased the belts & hoses division (engineered rubber products) from Veyance Technologies in 2015 after Goodyear earlier sold the division to Veyance. Here is a link to a story on it:

https://www.ibtinc.com/goodyear-engineered-products-are-now-continental-contitech-2/

I have not used the Continental belts/hoses and it has been something like 10 - 15 years since I used a Goodyear branded belt or hose.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by Black_Thunder
yes they make good belts, they also make a variety of air bags for semi trucks and other assorted rubber products

+1

The import community swears by them, especially the Conti timing belts.
Much better reputation than Gates etc.

I read here a while back that the Gatorback belt is now the top tier Continental offering?

She has about 30k on one in her Volvo. No issues thus far and it was ~$10 and US made IIRC.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by Black_Thunder
yes they make good belts, they also make a variety of air bags for semi trucks and other assorted rubber products

+1

The import community swears by them, especially the Conti timing belts.
Much better reputation than Gates etc.

Funny you mention this, I plan on using one of their TB's for the Volvo next. Not sure on the idler and tensioner pulleys though. Probably OE still.

The Gatorback is now branded as the Continental Elite. Here are some photos and a comparison with a Ford OEM belt. The belts are the same width. Just a slight distortion in the photo. You can also see why the belt used to be called the "gatorback".

6FEA5313-C17D-4303-B31E-CDCF61C0F7EB.jpeg

DF932531-F0E9-4B5D-8787-3AC76A7BAFD8.jpeg

EB12EBE1-304A-4978-8D3C-47B5D67B59A5.jpeg

4AE5EFF0-408A-4EB2-8A0D-7DCFF8EC7792.jpeg

Last edited:
Those Gatorbacks are the cat's meow.

Sort of surprised Conti didn't keep GY for the brand recognition, or for a parallel distribution channel. EG selling goodyears on amazon and Contis in B&M shops.

High quality, I chose them over any other brand everyday. Most OEM belts are made by Continental, at least from the euro cars I see daily. Instead of seeing the BMW symbol and 6pk-1158, it says conti 6pk1158. Use with confidence.

Last edited:
The pic above looks like a Goodyear gatorback.

We know crp bought Goodyear belts.

However, they did have their own belts before then, generally viewed as good. Certainly as the best for euro v-belt applications.

My recent buy of contitech v-belts were made in China. I'll likely give Dayco a try next time....

I used Conti timing belts on my Porsche's (944 & 928) without any concerns. Have their ‘Gatorback' on one of my Vettes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back