World renowned/uniquely local companies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vermeer is a global company manufacturing almost all of its products in Pella Iowa. Pella Windows has some factories spread around but for the most part is Iowa based.

I almost forgot Blue Bunny ice cream. Not a global brand but national at least and made in Iowa.

I guess a true global company with a small home base would be Cargill. It is still a private family owned company based out of Minnesota.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Biggest here is Proctor & Gamble, they've been selling soap & a multitude of other household products since the 19th Century.

They're another one here in Lima, we have p&g's primary liquid laundry bottling plant. If you buy tide, gain, down, etc in liquid or pod form anywhere in N.America, there's a better than 95% chance it was made in Lima Ohio.

Decker's which is the parent company of Ugg has it's headquarters about a mile from my house. Habit burger and Kinko's both originated in Isla Vista which is within spitting distance from my house. Seymour Duncan also has its headquarters in Goleta. Direct Relief International is headquartered here as well, they are go default charity on Amazon Smile. My family moved here from Cape Canaveral to work at Aero Spacelines and build the Guppy planes.

For anyone who lives in the Oilville/Richmond, VA area my aunt Donna and uncle Tom are the founders of TKL Products which are one of the largest manufacturers of musical instrument cases.

Last edited:
Modine Manufacturing Company, since 1916 in Racine, WI. (still headquartered there where it does all of it's R&D and testing).
Arthur B. Modine of Racine patented the Spirex radiator, the concentric oil cooler (used in virtually ALL automatic transmission equipped vehicles), the donut oil cooler, Beta-Weld technology, PF (parallel flow) condenser/heat-exchanger, and the Alfuse chemical process (a means of fusing aluminum to aluminum used to produce condensers). Modine was the largest radiator manufacturer in the world at one time and was the main radiator supplier to Ford, AMC, IHC, Caterpillar, Deere, M-F, and CASE for many years. They currently design and manufacture heat transfer products for a wide variety of applications and markets (big into HVAC and refrigeration products these days) and have manufacturing facilities located around the world.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Decker's which is the parent company of Ugg has it's headquarters about a mile from my house. Habit burger and Kinko's both originated in Isla Vista which is within spitting distance from my house. Seymour Duncan also has its headquarters in Goleta. Direct Relief International is headquartered here as well, they are go default charity on Amazon Smile. My family moved here from Cape Canaveral to work at Aero Spacelines and build the Guppy planes.

For anyone who lives in the Oilville/Richmond, VA area my aunt Donna and uncle Tom are the founders of TKL Products which are one of the largest manufacturers of musical instrument cases.

Thank You for the info as I have a pair of Decker shoes and boots
smile.gif

I used to work at Ernie Ball / Music Man in San Luis Obispo, Calif. If you play guitar you've probably played their strings and you've more then likely listened to music played on their guitars.

Thomas built buses. If you've ridden in a school bus, the odds are good you've ridden in one built by Thomas built buses. They started out building streetcars in 1916! They're now owned by Daimler.

Originally Posted by tom slick
I used to work at Ernie Ball / Music Man in San Luis Obispo, Calif. If you play guitar you've probably played their strings and you've more then likely listened to music played on their guitars.

I've run their strings on my bass
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
I'm not from Vermont, but Ben and Jerry's is a good answer

Thanks, you got me to think a bit...

Also from VT, and mostly within a short drive of where I'm sitting now:

Burton snowboards
Cabot cheese
Darn Tough socks
Magic Hat brewery
The Vermont Teddy Bear Company/Pajamagram
The Alchemist brewery
Dealer.com

My hometown of Anoka, MN is the home of Federal Ammunition. I know a couple of people who work there, and several others who have worked there.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Thank You for the info as I have a pair of Decker shoes and boots
smile.gif

They are huge in the community. Always sponsoring local events and donating lots of money to local charities. They have a program here that brings school kids who need them to one of their stores and gives them shoes.

Planet Fitness
Not sure if known much outside our area:
Coed Naked XXXX(Lacrosse) was from my university
Life is Good - local brand

Segway/Dean Kamien's products for medical and other industries.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by madRiver
Coed Naked XXXX(Lacrosse) was from my university

I forgot all about that!! Gosh, what was the time frame, mid-90s or so? My mom knew the guy who had the trademark to make those shirts, he owned a clothing import business on the Cape. Not sure what happened to him, I hadn't thought of that in years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back