Elon Musk on Fossil Fuel and Battery Range

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a front page piece in this morning's WSJ about Musk's recent public behavior, including the streamed interview complete with weed and whiskey as well as various high level departures from Tesla hitting the share price.
Musk did himself no favors with this podcast which may have unintended consequences.
Sometimes the guy who thinks himself the smartest in the room needs to have the wisdom to just shut up.

If he is in fact doing other drugs as in article I read; he is going down the wrong road in life. Didn't someone in his company just resign?

Originally Posted by camrydriver111
Half of CEOs probably snort coccaine But they do it in secret so its ok.

Haha! Yeah, even the mayor of D.C. Marion Barry Was caught snorting cocaine with a "ex girlfriend " of his
smile.gif

I wouldnt be surprised if we see electric planes coming about in the next 5-10 years. I know NASA was working on one with 18 brushless electric motors for propulsion. Airbus has an electric that crossed the English Channel a few years ago. He was also in a completely legal state to be doing this, so it should be treated like him and Rogan went out to a bar for a few beers.

Last edited:
I think a battery pack for a commercial aircraft would be the size of the hindenburg,good luck getting it to 500 kts.

Seems most of you didn't watch the video (so you outright believe what a biased journalist is saying) or you have an extremely low tolerance for what is considered drug usage.

Elon was drinking whiskey during most of the podcast.

Then Joe Rogan lit up a blunt and took a few hits. Elon was curious about it and held it in his hand, examined it and then did a single cigar style puff of it. (It wasn't some deep down drag into the depths of the lungs)

That was it. He then remarked that he had done MJ before in the long past but that it had no effect on him.

And this was in California where doing so is perfectly legal.

Bear in mind that most journalists have Elon in their sights because he recently talked about how we need a website that ranks the objectivity and transparency of journalism.

Originally Posted by Audios
I wouldnt be surprised if we see electric planes coming about in the next 5-10 years. I know NASA was working on one with 18 brushless electric motors for propulsion. Airbus has an electric that crossed the English Channel a few years ago. He was also in a completely legal state to be doing this, so it should be treated like him and Rogan went out to a bar for a few beers.

One could conceivably replace prop'd planes with electric versions if we were able to come up with a dense and light enough storage medium. However, you aren't going to be replacing a jet with one as the thrust component cannot be replicated with an electric motor.

I saw that. He didn't even inhale.

I think it's way blown out of proportion. He was making perfect sense when talking.

NBA players don't get tested for what they smoked.

Originally Posted by BossMoss
I saw that. He didn't even inhale.

I think it's way blown out of proportion. He was making perfect sense when talking.

NBA players don't get tested for what they smoked.

NBA players aren't running a company sending satellites into space and requiring DOD clearance, there's no parallel there between paid entertainers and those interacting with the safety and security of your country. That said, I'm on the fence about Musk's choice to partake. The optics are poor but if he did this in good conscience then he was well aware of any potential repercussions. It's all part and parcel of that "progressive" mindset, a group of which he's a staple member and rubs elbows with others sharing that ideology regularly. This is a group for which marijuana usage is generally deemed quite acceptable. Therefore, he's playing to his audience.

Actually, it takes a lot of physical endurance, quick thinking, and judgement calls, especially how much force to apply to a ball and at what angle to put it in the cup.

There are a lot of pot smokers who keep it unknown.

His compterence is there.

Actually, it takes a lot of physical endurance, quick thinking, and judgement calls, especially how much force to apply to a ball and at what angle to put it in the cup.

At the end of the day however, those skills apply to a game, whose existence revolves around entertaining "the rest of us". There are plenty of extremely talented folks that play sports; one has to be talented to reach the echelons of the professional level. Just like there are plenty of talented actors out there too, despite their job also being to entertainment. Neither gig involves the safety and security of the nation, so the talent of the participants still doesn't cast a parallel between them and Elon Musk, whose operations via SpaceX does.

And yes, there are plenty of pot smokers that keep it unknown. However, I think Elon's actions here were calculated and he was playing to what he sees as his largely progressive audience.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

At the end of the day however, those skills apply to a game, whose existence revolves around entertaining "the rest of us". There are plenty of extremely talented folks that play sports; one has to be talented to reach the echelons of the professional level. Just like there are plenty of talented actors out there too, despite their job also being to entertainment. Neither gig involves the safety and security of the nation, so the talent of the participants still doesn't cast a parallel between them and Elon Musk, whose operations via SpaceX does.

And yes, there are plenty of pot smokers that keep it unknown. However, I think Elon's actions here were calculated and he was playing to what he sees as his largely progressive audience.

I think that he was showing very poor judgment and that may be a reflection of deeper personal issues that call his ability to run a large publically held company into question. Were I a shareholder, I'd be neither sanguine nor amused.

I'm not impressed by any of the richest people. They're college dropouts and just seem dumb in general.

They don't even have decent personalities.

He was making perfect sense when talking.

He doesn't make perfect sense ever. In any case, this really isn't about whether this is legal or not. Is it a good idea? He does have to answer to shareholders, and if shareholders collectively decide they don't like the colour of his hair, then he's finished.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
Originally Posted by OVERKILL

I think that he was showing very poor judgment and that may be a reflection of deeper personal issues that call his ability to run a large publically held company into question. Were I a shareholder, I'd be neither sanguine nor amused.

Do you smoke pot or hang out with people who do? Do you consider yourself a progressive? Most of the folks I know that worship Musk are and do. So while his actions might not be perceived as reasonable by Fred Curtis who owns shares in the company, Fred probably didn't buy those shares because he's a proponent of Elon's views but rather he thought that Tesla was a good investment with the way things were going at the time he bought the shares.

I'm not defending the man's actions, I'm not invested in Tesla and have watched it with amusement, though I did consider buying a Model S at one point. However, I do think there's an explanation that doesn't involve him losing his mind and that choosing to do this, as irrational as it may seem to BITOG members, was done to connect with those who identify with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back