Tried to rent a house

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like you escaped a very greedy scammer of some sort.

Asking your employer for help in finding a place at least a temporary one for a few months might be worthwhile.

Here's another thought. For whatever reason he does not want to rent to you and that's why he's making these demands on money upfront. Maybe he has somebody who's willing to pay a higher rent and he's doing this so you will give up and rent some where else. If you're in a pinch time wise, check if there are any motels/extended stay places that you could stay at for a few weeks while you find another place to rent.

I don't know about the laws in PA, but in MA, we're not allowed to collect more than first, last and security. The broker collects the broker fee so the max that anyone can legally ask you for is 3 months upfront for the landlord and then whatever fee the broker wants to charge. It varies from state to state, but I think most of them don't allow you to collect much more than that, some let you do two months security. Anyway, maybe it wasn't a scam. Someone in NJ called me once and told me they had put down a 5k deposit on a property I was managing that I didn't even know existed. I don't know how he got scammed, but he called my number listed on the company website after he put down the deposit. Never put a deposit down unless you've actually seen the property and met the person. And then you still have to check because I've heard of former tenants trying to scam new tenants.

Where?

I have some relatives that live on that border. The town has a lot of empty houses. Dirt cheap. Western end.

Originally Posted by Srt20
Where?

I have some relatives that live on that border. The town has a lot of empty houses. Dirt cheap. Western end.

That's what I'm thinking. Cujet, was this rent compatible to others in the area? Where I live $1600/mo would get you something pretty nice.

It's been 25+yrs since I've rented, but 6 months up front? Wow.. there's no way I'd ever do that.

Last edited:
I feel sad that you're moving from the beautiful weather of Florida to the cold weather of the north!
frown.gif

Dang, where in rural PA are you planning on renting a house for $1600 a month? In my rural area the most you'd spend would be around $1000 for a newer 3br townhouse. A detached house would be around $800. I'm in the Southern end of the state, but when you say relocating to the NY/PA area I assume you are moving closer to the Scranton/Wilkes Barre region closer to the border.

Originally Posted by dishdude
6 months upfront? I've never heard of such a thing - I'd run. I wonder if the house is about to be foreclosed on and the guy is looking to run with as much cash as he can.

I was thinking the same. There's probably 10 people interested and will pay. He moves in and 2 weeks later the cops show up to evict...

Run away from this scammer.

Your employer has put you in a tight bind, with a short time frame to act. How sure if this move will last? Smells fishy.

Re: 'landowner': R u n L i k e [cendored]

Avoid sharks at all costs, particularly when they give you this amount of early warning.

Maybe an Extended Stay hotel for a month or two until you can look around and find a place.

Did you sell your Florida home yet ?

Originally Posted by mclasser
Sounds like a scum bag landlord.

^^^^^^^^
Agree 1000 percent.

You deserve way way better cujet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back