Does this look like a new serpentine belt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife's 2010 Fit was in for AC woes and while there the dealer recommended replacing the belt

Does look like a new belt??

97156A68-4264-4205-BC16-425C99B23C5A.jpeg

It looks like it has wear and tear along the edges as well as a possible seam. Color should be darker, more uniform, would like to see the underside of the belt. Does not look like a new serpentine belt to my eyes. Run it till it snaps will strand you.

Scott

No that looks like a belt that needs to be replaced. But since the dealer told you to replace it and documented it for CYA purposes you could just keep running it and buy your own engine when it fails.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
No that looks like a belt that needs to be replaced. But since the dealer told you to replace it and documented it for CYA purposes you could just keep running it and buy your own engine when it fails.

I would take it back and show them and ask them to show you what a new belt looks like. I would not risk ruining an engine over a 30 dollar part and risk the dealer not taking the blame and having to fight with them.

Belts on modern vehicles seem to last 10 years and 150,000 miles. The recommended replacement interval for this vehicle is likely 120,000 miles. Are you in that range?

It doesn't look new, however it would be nice to see the other side of the belt as well.

So, the dealer charged your wife for a new belt but didn't actually install one? I'd be right back at that dealership and get the new belt installed.

As I've mentioned a few times, I was a mechanic at a Honda dealer before more schooling and working my way to becoming a UPS semi mechanic. That belt is Not new and needs replaced.

I would say its not new but looks can be deceiving I would go to the dealer parts dept and look at another belt before opening my mouth to the service dept. There is nothing like looking like an fool then proving it.
lol.gif

It does not look new at all. The edges look worn. Is this your regular dealership/mechanic?

My own mechanic saves ALL old parts for me to gander upon.

Reminds me 25 years ago when I specifically told a local shop I only wanted Toyota Factory OEM parts on my Camry. He said it would cost me more but he would do it and he would only charge me what Toyota charged him. What a guy! That afternoon the office secretary asked me if so an so was working on my car. She then asked me if I were getting a water pump put on. Hmm..

Her husband worked at AA and the local shop had purchased my timing belt and water pump at his AA. When I went to pick up my Camry I asked him for a copy of the Toyota receipt in case I had any issues down the road and to have a record of the parts that had been installed. He said he must've misplaced the invoice. Just to rile him a little, I said, "That's ok. I'll just go by the Toyota dealer tomorrow and get them to give me a copy." He said, "They won't give you a copy of my invoice. I'll get it for you and call you."

He never called and I never went back.

I would like to see a pic from farther away but in that pic the rubber coating looks old and worn down. It looks like it has the polished look of a old belt.

The stichin is normal I have seen that before, but try to get a picture of the writing on the belt, that would help. It does look a bit worn, but looks can be deceiving.

Originally Posted by mcrn
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

I would take it back and show them and ask them to show you what a new belt looks like. I would not risk ruining an engine over a 30 dollar part and risk the dealer not taking the blame and having to fight with them.

thumbsup2.gif
01.gif

Could have been a miscommunication between the adviser and the tech. The tech may have only seen the original AC issue and not the additional work that was sold to the customer after the fact. Tech said it was done and the adviser just put the upsell on the invoice. Could have been an innocent mistake and I'd give them the benefit of the doubt if I were to return. And yes I've returned to shops/dealers for things they've overlooked. Every time they were nice and polite about it. When I called and asked about making an appt the Honda dealer said come back anytime that's convenient and we will get on it immediately. Since I was returning to get things corrected. Going mid-week seems to help since not as busy normally.

With serp belts you can always ask for the old one back in case the current one breaks on the hwy. Then you have a backup. Plus you can kind of insure they actually installed a new one. Same thing with brake calipers to rebuild them later.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back