World renowned/uniquely local companies

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
There's that interesting little niche for companies that aren't big enough to be Global with multiple locations but are still big enough to be known the world over. If you lived in Christiana, Tennessee you'd likely say Barrett Arms for example. Locally, we have Bryston, which is a high-end audio manufacturer.

What's your town's world renowned yet still uniquely local business?

Originally Posted by Leo99
Jack Daniel's

Great one!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by irv
GM

That's a global operation though
wink.gif
In the theme of the thread you need something that doesn't have a manufacturing presence outside of the 'shwa. Something unique to Clarington/Durham/Oshawa/Ajax/Pickering but that the world would recognize the brand of.

Oshkosh Truck Corp. Makes many vehicles for the military. There are others within 45 miles and even more within 75 miles.

Originally Posted by wallyuwl
Oshkosh Truck Corp. Makes many vehicles for the military. There are others within 45 miles and even more within 75 miles.

Another really good one
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by irv
GM

That's a global operation though
wink.gif
In the theme of the thread you need something that doesn't have a manufacturing presence outside of the 'shwa. Something unique to Clarington/Durham/Oshawa/Ajax/Pickering but that the world would recognize the brand of.

Ok, got ya. Mmm..........
21.gif

A few that are within a pretty short drive:

M&M Mars (maybe they don't count due to size, and I think around 50% of the M&Ms are made in TN vs NJ)
Martin Guitar
Yuenling brewery
Taylor Ham
Crayola
Bumble Bee clams
Henry repeating arms

Range Kleen's world headquarters is a short distance from me.
They Make Drip/Reflector pans for your gas and electric ranges, burner covers, the metal/plastic things to fill in the gap between your counter and range, etc.
https://www.rangekleen.com/

we have the Joint Systems Manufacturing Center, aka Lima Army Tank Plant,
chief product being M1 Abrams Tanks, including upgrades and refurbishment for our allies that have purchased said tanks world wide.

Originally Posted by earlyre
Range Kleen's world headquarters is a short distance from me.
They Make Drip/Reflector pans for your gas and electric ranges, burner covers, the metal/plastic things to fill in the gap between your counter and range, etc.
https://www.rangekleen.com/

we have the Joint Systems Manufacturing Center, aka Lima Army Tank Plant,
chief product being M1 Abrams Tanks, including upgrades and refurbishment for our allies that have purchased said tanks world wide.

There is a cool Youtube video about the refurbing process for the M1 at Lima.

Seeing as I'm from the Hammer / Steel Town (Hamilton), we are known for starting Tim Hortons and until recently it was Canadian. It's now Brazilian owned along with Burger King and Popeyes Chicken. The locations are primarily in Canada with a few locations in the U.S. and some overseas. I actually live not too far from Store #1 which has a museum upstairs of the store that is still in operation today!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back