2018 Elantra GL 2.0 L auto, opinion wanted!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gooday folks,

I have a very great deal on a 2018 elantra GL auto with the 2.0 L engine. Seems like a great car, nice engine and transmission. Low maintenance cost.

Any of you who have one? Would you recommend? Reliable?

Also, sweet deals on accents GL as well, 2017 auto. Tgey look like decent little cars.

Any inputs are appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
The Elantras are great cars with great engines. My sister has a 2017.

I would get this over the Accent.

Last edited:
Hyundai makes great cars now.

Not sure in Canada, but in the U.S. the way to go is to buy a slightly used one for a lot less.

I paid $10k for my Sonata with 52k miles last year. 84k miles now and I've replaced a headlight bulb and the original 3-1/2 year old battery (good life for AZ). The cheapest comparable Accord was $16k and a Camry was $14k.

I test drove a 2018 Elantra Sport. I was very impressed how good it handled and rode, rare for both to happen on a small car.
But the Sport model uses an independent rear suspension designed by a poached BMW engineer. Other Elantra trims make due
with a rear twist beam set up. But I think the Elantra in the other trim levels makes more sense and it is the best looking sedan in it's segment.
My biggest complaint is road noise at high speeds. Test drive one on the freeway.

The 2.0l Hyundai/KIA engine has been around for a while now. It's a good engine. The six speed automatic transmission coupled to them is good, too. I would recommend the Hyundai Elantra or it's cousin, the KIA Forte. Drive them both and compare.

Originally Posted by skyactiv

My biggest complaint is road noise at high speeds. Test drive one on the freeway.

The OEM tires on Hyundai's aren't the best for road noise. Good thing is they don't last long, so you can pick a quieter tire as a replacement. P7+ is a good choice.

The 2019 is a redesigned model so get them to go as low as possible on that 2018. Great car.

Minor road noise at highway speeds.

I recently had this exact car as a rental for a week when I was in Atlana and you get a lot of car for the money. I put about 500 miles that week and didn't find anything I did not like about it.

Hyundai has come a long way in terms of quality over the past 20 years.

Is this the GDI 2? Having good luck with my Kia Soul+. Like the 2.0 liter a lot. Much simpler than my previous Buick Encore's 1.4 turbo which was running good but flashing CEL's when it died violently.

I got a '17 Hertz car for $14.2k and my GF got a 17 Hertz Optima for a bit over $12k. They had lots of '17 Elantras for about $11k but they didn't have a backup camera. Camera and bluetooth were on both of our must have lists.

Despite the reputation of rentals having the life beat out of them, both of us are happy with our purchases. Both cars clean. Hertz unloads them at wholesale and any one year old car on a lot is either a rental or something horrible happened and the owner unloaded it anyway.

You can pick up a one year old rental for a bit over 50% of the new list price. HyunKias depreciate a lot less than they did a decade ago, but they're still great used car buys.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wemay
The 2019 is a redesigned model so get them to go as low as possible on that 2018. Great car.

Been looking at the Elantra for a little over a year now and when I found out what they did for the 2019 model I was surprised, and didn't like the changes. So my local Hyundai dealer had about 60 2018 Elantras on their lot at deep discounts. Pulled the trigger Nov 3rd on an '18 Lakeside blue SEL and am loving this car.

Originally Posted by csandste

I got a '17 Hertz car for $14.2k and my GF got a 17 Hertz Optima for a bit over $12k.

Just curious if you did those purchases through their "Rent 2 Buy" program. That always looked intriguing to me.

Originally Posted by DavidZ28
Originally Posted by wemay

Been looking at the Elantra for a little over a year now and when I found out what they did for the 2019 model I was surprised, and didn't like the changes. So my local Hyundai dealer had about 60 2018 Elantras on their lot at deep discounts. Pulled the trigger Nov 3rd on an '18 Lakeside blue SEL and am loving this car.

What did they do to the 19 that turned you off?

What did they do to the 19 that turned you off?[/quote]

Redesigned the front end, don't like the triangular headlights. Rear end redesigned also, don't like the new taillights Hyundai put on the 2019 model.
The 2017-'18 Elantra rear end treatment I really like. To me it looks very aggressive.

I have a 2017 Elantra GL with 46,000km and loving it!!!.. Soo smooth!, quiet, and so far, very reliable...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back