Carbon build up on Mercedes E350

Status
Not open for further replies.
2011 E350 rwd
112k mileage

I found out that direct injection engine m272 has carbon build up common issues on this engine.I was wondering what and how can I prevent from getting the carbon buildup on this engine. Mecredes dealership want $300 for carbon cleaning by using their equipment. I have two cans of Amsoil power foam. Should I used it on this engine? If I can where do I spray through?

For a direct injection engine, when it's that bad the $300 service is the way to go. Then prevention is your next best bet. No can of spray (Including Amsoil Power Foam) is going to fix heavy build up.

Look into a catch can, also use a high quality PEA based fuel additive regularly to keep your injectors clean, combustion chamber clean to limit soot production. Scale back your Oil change interval and make sure you are using the appropriate high quality oil for your engine.

I would also recommend CRC GDI/Turbo/Intake cleaner regularly sprayed through the throttle body as per the directions on the can.

Also Change your spark plugs ahead of schedule and use only what the OE did in the beginning.

We have susceptible direct injection engines in our family and this regiment has kept them from having the problem and they are all high mileage engines now.

cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rohan
2011 E350 rwd
112k mileage

I found out that direct injection engine m272 has carbon build up common issues on this engine.I was wondering what and how can I prevent from getting the carbon buildup on this engine. Mecredes dealership want $300 for carbon cleaning by using their equipment. I have two cans of Amsoil power foam. Should I used it on this engine? If I can where do I spray through?

I'd try another dealership or just skip it. The M272 is not a direct injection engine. That was the M276 which was in the 2012.

Correct, this engine is not DI it uses a normal top feed injector with a projected nose.
OP, just use top tier fuel and forget it, you can throw a bottle Techron, Redline SI-1, etc in the tank every 3-5K if you want to do anything, No need for the dealer fuel rail service with these.

Edit: BTW a real walnut shell carbon cleaning of the intakes is about $1500+ more than the price you were quoted.
They are selling a through the fuel rail chemical clean.

Your top feed injector and a 2012 DI injector.

mb top feed.jpg

mb di.jpg

Last edited:
I'm curious how the dealership determined you had carbon build-up, were there any other issues or was it simply based upon mileage?

Originally Posted by Egg_Head
I'm curious how the dealership determined you had carbon build-up, were there any other issues or was it simply based upon mileage?

Dealer upsell?

Originally Posted by camrydriver111

Dealer upsell?

They didn't, you are exactly right, its an upsell. My MIL went to the Toyota dealer for the airbag recall, they handed here a shopping list for here car with 23K (10 yrs old at the time and no DI) on it, yep it included carbon and fuel system cleaning cleaning among other things that totaled almost $800.
I had already serviced the coolant and OC, transmission line off with Amsoil ATF, air filter, cabin filter, etc the month before so they didn't even look.

Originally Posted by camrydriver111

Dealer upsell?

Yes you are right about this and also told me based on mileage.

Originally Posted by Trav
Correct, this engine is not DI it uses a normal top feed injector with a projected nose.
OP, just use top tier fuel and forget it, you can throw a bottle Techron, Redline SI-1, etc in the tank every 3-5K if you want to do anything, No need for the dealer fuel rail service with these.

Edit: BTW a real walnut shell carbon cleaning of the intakes is about $1500+ more than the price you were quoted.

Thanks you for making corrections with me I thought it had DI engine. I'm using shell 93 octane E10. Do I really need to put in fuel additive if I'm using shell 93?

Originally Posted by StevieC
If that's the case then, skip the $300 cleaning and do everything else on my PM list for optimal performance.

I'll look into catch can for my car in the future.

No one want me to use Amsoil power foam for this engine? is It not worth it?

Go over to the MB forums. Pretty much no one uses it. Carbon buildup happens eventually to all engines. I wouldn't bother. I have 2 M272 engines, one of them is at 120k.

Shell gas is already top tier. I don't even use top tier, just whatever 93 happens to be around. Oh I guess I use Costco once in a while too so that's also top tier gas.

Save your money, next steps on the M272 would be the intake manifold going. Tends to go in the 100-150k range.

Originally Posted by Trav

Thanks you for making corrections with me I thought it had DI engine. I'm using shell 93 octane E10. Do I really need to put in fuel additive if I'm using shell 93?

No not really. Engines that have a steady diet of Shell 93 long term that I have seen inside are pretty clean at the back of the intake valves and injectors. IMO keep doing what you are doing and forget the rest until the service interval comes around,

Originally Posted by Wolf359

Go over to the MB forums. Pretty much no one uses it. Carbon buildup happens eventually to all engines. I wouldn't bother. I have 2 M272 engines, one of them is at 120k.

Shell gas is already top tier. I don't even use top tier, just whatever 93 happens to be around. Oh I guess I use Costco once in a while too so that's also top tier gas.

Save your money, next steps on the M272 would be the intake manifold going. Tends to go in the 100-150k range.

When you said intake manifold will go out. Are you talking about swirl flap issue?

I thought after 2011 didn't have this issue.

No not really. Engines that have a steady diet of Shell 93 long term that I have seen inside are pretty clean at the back of the intake valves and injectors. IMO keep doing what you are doing and forget the rest until the service interval comes around,[/quote]

I will do what I'm doing currently. I bought the car at 110k mileage and I don't know what previous owner was using. Before I change my next oil I will dump in liquid moly fuel additive which I have in the garage laying there for 2 years and never been open.

When you said intake manifold will go out. Are you talking about swirl flap issue?

After 2011 was the 2012 so it was a completely different engine. I believe it's the same design so nothing really changed. Pierburg was the oem maker of it and there's some youtube videos on how to replace it, basically take a bunch of stuff apart on top of the engine. Prices seem to have gone up a little since the last time I looked, used to be around $450, now more like $520. I think OEM was more like $900.

Watch out for other things like faded wood, ripped seat, motor mounts, thermostat, pulleys/tensioners etc.

After 2011 was the 2012 so it was a completely different engine. I believe it's the same design so nothing really changed. Pierburg was the oem maker of it and there's some youtube videos on how to replace it, basically take a bunch of stuff apart on top of the engine. Prices seem to have gone up a little since the last time I looked, used to be around $450, now more like $520. I think OEM was more like $900.

Watch out for other things like faded wood, ripped seat, motor mounts, thermostat, pulleys/tensioners etc.

So are you saying that I need to replace intake mainfold soon? Can't I just buy swirl flap kit?

My driver seat already wearing out. Kinda suck to see how German stuffs wears out quickly than Japanese car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back