New Jasper Rebuild in my 04 Tahoe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by mrsilv04
I'm on my third Jasper rebuild in a 2004 Silverado. I'm a year and a half into this non-stop nightmare, with a year and a half of warranty coverage left.

The third Jasper engine was installed in less than a year.

I hope you have better luck with their rubbish, than I have.

The first Jasper rebuild knocked like an old diesel tractor. Replaced under warranty.
The second Jasper rebuild had coolant in the oil. Replaced under warranty.
The third Jasper rebuild (current engine) appears to be fine, even though it had plenty of metal in the last used oil sample that I sent in. Another sample from an oil change last week is on its way to ALS now. Wish me luck.

Good luck to you on this one. Mine is purring like a kitten so far.

So what would be a good suggestion for a replacement engine other than Jasper? I looked on Summit Racing's site the crate engine are quite expensive. Probably more than the truck is worth. Thanks!

Originally Posted by StevieC
Most people that have Reman engines put in usually do so because the previous engine failed out of neglect and now they learned their lesson. Most don't drive it to the mileage you did and then replace to extend the life of the vehicle. I speak from person experience of the idiot customers we would replace engines for and that we would strongly advise what they should do to avoid having to put another engine in down the road. Sure enough they wouldn't listen and would try to claim warranty and then blame us for poor work or the engine re-builder. It's quite frustrating and I suspect this is why Jasper has a lot of bad reviews online yet a lot of shops buy from them including here in Canada.

Proper maintenance I suspect will get you the return on your new engine just fine or Jasper would have been out of business a long time ago and they aren't.
wink.gif

So true!! I got 248,000 out of my last one so I am shooting for at least that in this one.

Originally Posted by Hootbro
Jasper engine failures are like the OCOD failures. 99.9% of people know a guy that knows a guy who knows his plumber's third cousin baby sitter had a bad Jasper engine.

LOL!!!

I am a stickler for maintenance so that will definitely not be a problem. I will get some good mileage out of this truck.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
So what would be a good suggestion for a replacement engine other than Jasper? I looked on Summit Racing's site the crate engine are quite expensive. Probably more than the truck is worth. Thanks!

Any truck that has high miles that needs an engine isn't going to be worth much. You put a new motor in because you don't want to buy another vehicle. If it has a quarter of a million miles on it-what is it REALLY WORTH? Not much.

Originally Posted by CKN
There are many MIXED reviews on the Jasper re-manufactured motors-you can't get around that.

I don't know if a GM crate motor is available for that vehicle-but if it is that's what I would have done.

I think I saw one on Summit Racing's site for $6800 plus shipping and install. Ouch! Time for new suv at that price. Although a decent used Tahoe will prob be at least $20k.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN
There are many MIXED reviews on the Jasper re-manufactured motors-you can't get around that.

I don't know if a GM crate motor is available for that vehicle-but if it is that's what I would have done.

I think I saw one on Summit Racing's site for $6800 plus shipping and install. Ouch! Time for new suv at that price. Although a decent used Tahoe will prob be at least $20k.
It is almost never a good idea to replace rather than repair, I find. That's an excuse people use who want a reason for a new car. It depends on a million variables but if the rest of the car is in good shape, why not? If something catastrophic happens, you can always pull the motor and do something else with it. Those gen 3 small blocks are not cheap: a low mileage, brand new mill will be worth a decent chunk of change.

However, there's the old "pull out of the shop, get into an accident and the car gets written off, and you are out the $$$ for the repair" argument that definitely has merit.

Originally Posted by CKN

Depends how many miles. $20,000.00 will not get you one with low miles.

As long as the rust monster isn't chewing on the truck, I say GO FOR IT. I too have heard less-than-stellar reports on Jasper engines but have absolutely ZERO experience with them, beyond 3rd-hand complaints. If the OP likes the truck and can get good use out of it, more power to him!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back