One year oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not driving much, anymore. And all short, in-city trips. But I'll change my oil every year. I make sure to drive on the highway for an hour or more at least once a month, in an attempt to boil all the water and acids out of the oil.

I had an audi turbo 4 blow up (twice) due to audi's bad design, was changing Mobil 1 0w-40 every 3500-4000 miles. The bad taste that left in my mouth is enough to justify the small added cost and peace of mind.

Originally Posted by RW1
My thoughts on annual oil changes are changing. A relative recently asked me about helping with an oil change. The vehicle is a 2010 Toyota RAV4. The oil was Mobil 1 5W-20. Mileage was 2,000 miles over a 2 year period. My first thought was that it needed an immediate change but sent a sample off to Blackstone.

Long story short - they recommend running it for 2,000 more miles.

My thoughts are changing as well. I have a car that unfortunately sits most of the time, but when it is run it usually gets a hot ride. My conscience made me dump the oil after 4 years and maybe 500 miles, and the oil analysis suggested that the oil [M1 15W-50] was fine for further use.

Now on a car that is run 1 mile a day, an oil analysis at a 1-year OCI may have a different result. Only your oil analyzer knows for sure.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back