Which grease to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which grease would you use in a hi-temp, hi-speed, hi-load (short track racing ) environment? This will be used for disk brake wheel bearing. I am currently using Redline Cv2 and am not happy with how the bearings are holding up. They are repacked every 500 laps (5/8 mile dirt track). I am thinking about switching greases. I was recommended Castrol pyroplex blue by an track old timer, but also saw the pyroplex red on the Castrol website. Below are the links to product data sheets for example the blue and red.

https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/F7023ECA3A086ECB80257CBD003FD086/$File/BPXE-9JD3PQ.pdf

https://msdspds.castrol.com/ussds/amersdsf.nsf/Files/B7A2631A1ECC952D80258089005805B0/$File/11176454.pdf

NEO or Krytox If those two don't do it you have other issues...Brake cooling, etc. are needed. CV2 shoulda been fine BTW.

Redline claims the CV2 as the nectar of the gods. What do your fellow racers use and do they have the same problem? I would guess the loads on the bearings are intense. I have no experience with your problem but I can regurgitate every advertisement on how great each every product claims to be.

Originally Posted by CT8
Redline claims the CV2 as the nectar of the gods. What do your fellow racers use and do they have the same problem? I would guess the loads on the bearings are intense. I have no experience with your problem but I can regurgitate every advertisement on how great each every product claims to be.

lol that's what I was thinking. What's better than CV2?

I agree that fellow racers should be queried. It could be grease selection, some other mechanical issue, or, driver issues...

For all the cv2 hype, the OP mentioned pyroplex blue has a better four ball wear and weld result, though cv-2 has higher dropping temp.

Seems that the castrol may be a good bet, as might the schaeffers.

Thanks All for the quick replies. I have asked around and it runs the full spectrum from whatever is on sale at Walmart to some super expensive German made grease that costs $185 a tube ( Kluber Isoflex Topas NB52). Before I started using the CV2 I had asked a track veteran and he handed me a tub of the Castrol Blue. I have used it on the car in places that see frequent water from washing and heavy mud and it has worked well. I started reading up on the specs on it and discovered the pyroplex red. I guess my question is between these 2 greases which has the better specs for my conditions.

Kluber is really good as well. We have used RL CV2 for years and never had an issue. Racing 2 Porsche 911's and a 944. There is something contributing to the failure...water and dirt in a bearing will use a failure no matter what grease you are using as will too much heat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back