Wix, ATP or Pro-King Transmission Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! I am looking to replace the transmission filter and gasket on my 2009 Toyota Camry and 2014 Sienna but had a question what filters kits (filter w/ gasket) would you recommend?

ATP
Wix
Pro-King
or something else?

So far i'm leaning towards ATP or Wix. ATP has a special gasket "exclusive gasket material swells with first heat cycle to prevent leaks long term, has anyone used this gasket? how did you like it?

I have an ATP filter and gasket in our ‘11 Highlander's 6-speed auto. No leaks in the last 18K miles.

My dad and I have used Wix for decades and have had 0 issues. We have serviced 10's of thousands of transmissions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by diyjake
Stevie, I see you like to run Amsoil ATF? I guess you have good results with Amsoil ATF?

Been using their oil and ATF for almost 2 decades now. Nothing but superb results.

My Santa Fe had the original transmission and went 535,000km (334,000 miles) before the camshaft snapped in the engine. Shifted great. Used Amsoil in it since the first change.

My Santa Fe had no serviceable filter and so I did a complete change to Amsoil and then did a spill/fill regularly. Always Cherry red coming out. The OE fluid darkened in the first 50,000km before I switched it over to Amsoil.

You should read their study on a Vegas Taxi Fleet: https://www.amsoil.com/lit/G3118.pdf
(They ran the fluid in Taxi's for 12,981 hours / 183,705 hours and it came out almost like new.)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
Been using their oil and ATF for almost 2 decades now. Nothing but superb results.

My Santa Fe had the original transmission and went 535,000km (334,000 miles) before the camshaft snapped in the engine. Shifted great. Used Amsoil in it since the first change.

That's all you got, huh?

That's all I have for high mileage vehicles but I am running it in a lot of family vehicles, they just don't have impressive mileage at the moment.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Stevie, I see you like to run Amsoil ATF? I guess you have good results with Amsoil ATF?

My Santa Fe had no serviceable filter and so I did a complete change to Amsoil and then did a spill/fill regularly. Always Cherry red coming out. The OE fluid darkened in the first 50,000km before I switched it over to Amsoil.

You should read their study on a Vegas Taxi Fleet: https://www.amsoil.com/lit/G3118.pdf
(They ran the fluid in Taxi's for 12,981 hours / 183,705 hours and it came out almost like new.)

334,000 miles is impressive especially for a Hyundai. How often do you change the transmission fluid?

Also how often do you change the motor oil and filter? And what filter do you use, Amsoil's filter?

Did it come with a rubber gasket?

If I recall, it's a pretty stout fiber of some sort---what they call their "third-hand" gasket. Mine was $22 at Rockauto ATP B426 Transmission Filter @ Rockauto, or about half the Toyota OEM price. I went with the OEM filter & gasket for the fist two ATF D&Fs that I had done on the Highlander, but I've had good service from ATP filters in my other Toyotas, so I got a little thriftier for the 120K service. The car presently has 138K miles on it, and shifts smoothly.

Last edited:
Once fully exchanged with Amsoil ATF I follow the normal service schedule even though my driving is considered "Severe" because I operate my vehicles like fleet with all the miles for work.

So with the Santa Fe I was driving 100,000km (60K miles) between changes (Just spill/fill 1/2 the fluid)

Stevie - this is a little bit of topic but how often do you change the motor oil and filter? And what filter do you use, Amsoil's filter?

I used Amsoil EAO and Signature series 0w30 in the Santa Fe. I wasn't able to do the full extended OCI run on that oil because the engine beat up the oil pretty good. (Or any other oil for that matter). The best I could get out of that one was 11,000km 6875 Miles but I ran it to 10,000km (6K miles) to have a bit of a buffer. When I had M1 in there I could only run it 8,000km (5K miles) before it was done with TAN being really high and TBN being really low. (Amsoil and M1 cost me about the same here. Give or take a few dollars per jug)

On the Journey I was running Amsoil EAK filters with Signature Series 5w20 and my UOA from Terry said I could get as far as the Oil claimed but I never pushed it that far. I was chicken so I would change it out at 13,000km (8,000 miles)

On my Highlander, Toyota says I can go as far as 16,000km on TGMO under normal driving conditions (which I'm considered severe duty due to my fleet driving), So I'm going to run a UOA at 8,000km and see what it says. I might keep it on this conservative amount until all the break-in is over and all the metals flushed from the engine. I imagine I can get the full run that Amsoil says I can out of it given the large amount of miles Toyota says this engine can do on TGMO.

Keep watching the UOA section I will post it here. Just keep in mind that whatever the mileage is and the results are it's considered "Severe" driving because it's fleet type usage.

Last edited:
Hi! I am looking to replace the transmission filter and gasket on my 2009 Toyota Camry and 2014 Sienna but had a question what filters kits (filter w/ gasket) would you recommend?

ATP
Wix
Pro-King
or something else?

So far i'm leaning towards ATP or Wix. ATP has a special gasket "exclusive gasket material swells with first heat cycle to prevent leaks long term, has anyone used this gasket? how did you like it?

I like ATP because the gasket is their "third hand" line where four of the punched holes in the corners of the gasket is just a bit undersized so that you can start the fasteners into the pan with the gasket not jostling around. The WIX is fine but I had to wrestle with the gasket from coming out of place as I insisted on not using a tack spray to help installation.

I never used ATP but the third hand feature does sound nice. Is it just me or does it seems like the gasket is more like cork material or am I wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back