Anyone have a good better best oil filter list?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have multiple filters for each category. This is the list I've narrowed it down to after careful consideration based on construction, advertised longevity, and price.

Good: Microgard- has a Wix serial number at O'Reilly but doesn't claim to function for as many miles as a Wix, nice price

Better: AC Delco non-efilter- can't go wrong with this oem filter unless something changes, been doing its job for years, advertised for more miles the
the Microgard, seems to be built slightly stronger though I've never cut one open, good medium range price

Best: Wix- claims to be able to function for 10,000 miles though 7500 is plenty, solid build, a little more than I like to pay but not much so I feel its worth it

* There are likely "better" filters than the Wix but it fits my criteria. I like a medium OCI around 6000 miles so this works for me.

Last edited:
The main parameter I look at is rated filtering efficiency (and then capacity) ... after all it is called an oil "filter".
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
The main parameter I look at is rated filtering efficiency (and then capacity) ... after all it is called an oil "filter".
grin2.gif

I thought that was a given.

I do oil changes at 5000 miles. Have for past 30 years. Used Pure One on my 03 Dodge Ram, 216,000 miles on it in 2016 when I sold it and running perfect. still see it around town.

running Fram Ultra on the Jeep in my sig.

Mopar Mo339 on the 16 Ram Hemi.

they all good if you keep them changed.

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
grin2.gif

I thought that was a given.

Doesn't always seem to be, as not all "filters" filter the same.

You're right Zee. Most people choose by price or whatever the quickie lube happens to use. It's probably a small percentage of people who even know what kind of filter they have.

The oil filter is like a doctor's Hippocratic Oath- "First, Do No Harm". Unfortunately excepting the Boss, Purolator forgot that one! If one goes 5K or less, any lower end filter will work, it's when you go 10K or more that the premium filters are the way to go. Donaldson Blue, Royal Purple, Amsoil EA, Fleetguard Stratapore/Nano, and the much cheaper Fram Ultra. All of them set the bar pretty high.

Originally Posted by Patman
I agree that the AC Delco could never be included on the best list. First of all, it's not even a synthetic media, or a blended media for that matter, just cellulose. And we've seen the pics on here with the media tearing too. Just because something is OEM doesn't mean it's built all that well.

Which bugs me to no end because the AC used to be a heck of a filter at a heck of an attractive price.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back