Pennzoil Ultra on Sale
by Nyati. 07/16/19 04:39 PM
Not All Mid-Grade Blended At the Pump
by RayCJ. 07/16/19 04:30 PM
Newest Members
MBhuntington, captainfloss, Lyndol, Belczek, Bronco628
68681 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
20 registered members (Danimal1q2w3, chrisri, Bailes1992, alcyon, Deontologist, ctechbob, 3 invisible), 626 guests, and 24 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics291,972
Posts5,014,293
Members68,681
Most Online2,967
Mar 10th, 2019
Donate to BITOG
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Legalise To Leaving an Auto In A Will? [Re: sleddriver] #4800798
06/29/18 05:35 PM
06/29/18 05:35 PM
Iowegia - USA
MolaKule Offline
Global Moderator
MolaKule  Offline
Global Moderator

Iowegia - USA
Not a lawyer, but in your will (as advice given to me by my attorney), designate an Executor whom you have faith in and will decide on the distribution of items.

That's how I have mine set up.

"Science is a body of knowledge, a 'recipe', as it were, for reality. The totality of science is a collection of hard-earned nuggets, using math as a language of expression." Chip Cohen
Re: Legalise To Leaving an Auto In A Will? [Re: MolaKule] #4806116
07/05/18 06:48 PM
07/05/18 06:48 PM
Central Texas
sleddriver Offline OP
sleddriver  Offline OP

Central Texas
Autos, boats, motorcycles, RV's, etc. fall under the category personal property. They all have titles. I'll use the info provided on the county registration form within Tx. That + the title should suffice. I sold my sailboats (mistake). Kayak doesn't need a title. So the sled is it.

I've also begun an inventory of personal property, banks, debtors, credit cards, brokers, insurance agents, CPA, lawyer, etc., user names & passwords, log-in information, agents, neighbors (who I trust, who has keys, who NOT to trust), contact info. etc. Will save my executors quite a bit of time I figured.

If I get killed or go into a coma from an auto crash, at least these details will all be in a single document.

I was hoping to find an "official" form for inventory & appraisement for the county probate court however they don't list one on their site. Didn't realize all of this stuff has to be appraised either. I can include my estimations of value on auto, computers, electronic test equipment, photography, astronomy, loudspeakers, woodworking machines, major kitchen appliances, etc. Sounds like a job for a spreadsheet integrated into an outline if necessary.

Q: Where's the best place to keep a will + all accompaning documents? (I read not a bank deposit box). I'm thinking they should also all be scanned and stored on a thumb drive and/or optical disk to minimize re-typing from paper only.

I did download some docs from county probate court site (mandatory information sheet the court needs, 10 key points to check in the will to ensure there are no paperwork SNAFUs, and all of the steps for executors when a decendent dies with a will). Lawyers will know all-of-this but I need to know it too and so do my executors.

For my own sake, I have cleaned out a lot of old files, records, bills, etc., thrown away stuff I haven't even picked up much less used in several years, gone through the kitchen and junked old glasses, food storage containers, plastic bags, dishes, expired canned food. Once I got started, I got into a groove and finished. I even cleaned out the frig & freezer & washed all of the storage bins! It's now very bright inside!

I find it very liberating to weed-my-life of this stuff at my age and be rid of it.

1998 Volvo V70 T5 228,880 mi. Original Owner.
M1 10W-30 HM
"It's never a mistake to buy tools, defined broadly. They're not a cost, they're an investment." - J.B. Peterson
Re: Legalise To Leaving an Auto In A Will? [Re: sleddriver] #4812517
07/12/18 06:12 PM
07/12/18 06:12 PM
Central Texas
sleddriver Offline OP
sleddriver  Offline OP

Central Texas
Q: Where's the best place to keep a will + all accompaning documents?

M1 10W-30 HM
"It's never a mistake to buy tools, defined broadly. They're not a cost, they're an investment." - J.B. Peterson
Re: Legalise To Leaving an Auto In A Will? [Re: sleddriver] #4815591
07/16/18 01:21 PM
07/16/18 01:21 PM
Arkansas
Win Offline
Win  Offline

Arkansas
Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Q: Where's the best place to keep a will + all accompaning documents?

In my state, failure to produce the original of a testamentary instrument ( Will ) creates a presumption it was revoked or destroyed by the testator in his/her lifetime. It's a hard presumption to overcome, although it is theoretically possible.

I keep my will in a safety deposit box because drilling out a box if the key is lost is trivial, and orders and orders of magnitude easier than trying to advance a lost will by way of a copy, or even no copy.

My suggestion would be to check with your guy in TX. TX may or may not be different.

09 Torrent 3.6 V6 M1 0/30
09 Solstice 2.4 I4 Fram 5/30
08 G8 3.6 V6 ST Syn 5/30
04 Xj8 4.2 V8 Hav 5/40
99 S-10 2.2 I4 RECOVERED
94 Xj12 6.0 V12
Re: Legalise To Leaving an Auto In A Will? [Re: Win] #4816543
07/17/18 03:59 PM
07/17/18 03:59 PM
Central Texas
sleddriver Offline OP
sleddriver  Offline OP

Central Texas
I have read up on Texas law regarding this. Wouldn't want to "talk off the top of my head" though without the documents at hand. I've read pro/con's re: SDB post-death. Also the importance of 'proving' a will beforehand to minimize frustration and delays.

M1 10W-30 HM
Re: Legalise To Leaving an Auto In A Will? [Re: sleddriver] #4859872
09/04/18 06:53 PM
09/04/18 06:53 PM
Central Texas
sleddriver Offline OP
sleddriver  Offline OP

Central Texas
I'm now nearly finished with this monumental task. No doubt orders of magnitude more complex for those with a spouse, kids, parents still alive, siblings, step-children....small wonder so many put it off...just like taxes. Who wants to think about their death, collecting all the necessary documents, making a UN/PW list, revising a will, writing letters, generating a master personal confidential form that contains ALL of your pertinent, critical information? 'Tis a monumental task indeed, even for someone never married with no kids. No one else knows where anything is in both house, garage, and personal life. Made all the more complicated and difficult due to our immersion in the digital domain. I've now joined the ranks of those who have done so. If I die tomorrow in a car wreck, the burden on my executors will be greatly eased.

There are many on-line sites to 'assist' however I don't want them to have access to any information they want me to type in to "organize" it for me. Further, many charge for each form/document. I found it far easier to borrow several library books, search their on-line databases, then create the documents on my own. LibreOffice Writer is quite powerful however I first had to watch about 20 tutorial videos, then practice following along, then using what I learned to create my own templates and character, paragraph, and page styles FIRST, before filling it with confidential personal data. This front-loads a lot of learning & work however it makes using a WP like LO Writer easier to understand and learn what it's capable of. It also makes all of the documents appear consistent. If it doesn't print the way you like, you can change multiple header, footer, page, & paragraph styles with a few clicks, rather than selecting-every-single-one-of-them, one-at-a-time, making a change then going to the next...and the next and the....

When you have > 40 different headings in a complex, lengthy document it makes quite a difference.

In addition, I cleaned out the garage in both junk and leaves and sprayed Bifen I/T in all areas like I did last year. Ditto for the house: old magazine, conference materials, work-related docs., blew out the dryer vent, even cleaned my dirty keyboards and mice! A good clean, with appropriate LOUD music, helped deal with the stress of it all. Beginning was difficult to surmount. Even worse than actually doing the work. Odd that but there it is.

I also took the time to specifically designate many key "what goes to who" items to head off potential arguments, fights and outright theft should they arise. I won't be around to defend it, however my directions have been made clear and included in the body of the will itself. I've also seen to it that several copies will be mailed out upon my death.

May seem excessive or unwarranted however my family & a few relatives have a history of fraud, embezzlement, breach of fiduciary duty and conversion of the corpus, counter to what was dictated. This all occurred in the previous generation where only one currently survives.

Doing this exercise will definitely KICK you OUT of your REGULAR ROUTINE, keep you up at night and stress you out. However, it IS IMPORTANT, will greatly lower your legal bill as you will have done all of the work (rather than give your lawyer a file-box full of scraps of paper, scribbled notes, bank statements, credit card bills, phone records, deeds, and unlabeled photographs etc. with instructions to 'sort it' and make it legal....at >$250/hr.), put your spouse at ease and in the end, give you peace-of-mind.

"Begin With The End In Mind" - Covey

"Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least"

"Act or Be Acted Upon"

"The Main Thing is to keep The Main Thing, the Main Thing"

Put First Things First

The Reason For Living Is Glimpsed Most Clearly At The Edge of Death

The Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over The Man Who Can Not Read" - Mark Twain.

"Grief and Loss lead you to other things -- To an explanation of your own ancestry, to renegotiating the terms of your relationships with the dead, even to anger...it was more of a jumping off point than an end in itself." -- Roseanne Cash

M1 10W-30 HM
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™