Tuesday JY digging and Cadillac repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the quest to get the Cadillac up to snuff to be a DD, I took today (a VERY rainy day, I might add) to run all over town picking up parts to fix the few little odds and ends that weren't working.

First stop was a local auto recycler. They had a matching DVD navigation unit like the one in the car, lifetime warranty, for $44.99! I put it on will call last Saturday so no one would snag it before I got there. It works almost perfect: the internal DVD drive doesn't appear to read discs but that's fine. I have no use for the nav and the CD changer in the console works perfectly. I didn't even have to use my Tech 2 to clear the TheftLock. Talk about a score.

After that it was on to the local U-pull yard. Their website said they had 4 Seville's on the lot. I only found 3 of them, but I got what I needed:

The trunk lighting harness on mine is all corroded, so none of the red running lights work. I found a perfect condition harness to replace it, complete with bulbs for $5.

My dash illumination and dome lights did not work when I got it, nor did the auto headlights. After doing research and some diagnosis, I found that the twilight sensor (photocell) was no longer responding to light inputs. I grabbed a couple at the yard while I was there, and sure enough once installed the lights all work as designed.

The last fix was to plug the hole in the manifold where there was a broken off oxygen sensor. I grabbed a small jar of 2400 degree liquid steel stuff at AutoZone and gooped it into the cavity, it filled up nicely and I'm going to leave it overnight to cure.

The only thing left if to order and install a new coolant reservoir so stop a very small leak at the seam and replace the transmission fluid and coolant. I'm into it for $1,400 so far, including purchase price.

Originally Posted by Blkstanger
Broken off oxygen sensor? That doesn't sound good.

I thought the same thing, but it's strange. I've accounted for all 3 oxygen sensors on the vehicle. I've confirmed that they're all working via the data stream.

The only thing I can think of it that the car has a used engine installed, and perhaps they used a different year engine that had the rear upstream sensor in a different spot. Therefore, the one that broke off wasn't needed. I don't see any welded on bungs or anything like that, it all looks factory. I'm at a loss, but as long as it works I'm not going to worry about it.

If you check a muffler shop they should have a plug for that o2 sensor hole. Universal catalytic converters come with them so they work with OBD-I cars.

Originally Posted by eljefino
If you check a muffler shop they should have a plug for that o2 sensor hole. Universal catalytic converters come with them so they work with OBD-I cars.

Unfortunately, the sensor was broken off flush with the manifold. The skeleton of the sensor tip was still in the manifold, just an open hole. The muffler weld I used seems to be working perfectly. Thanks for the tip, though!

Originally Posted by 14Accent
In the quest to get the Cadillac up to snuff to be a DD, I took today (a VERY rainy day, I might add) to run all over town picking up parts to fix the few little odds and ends that weren't working.

First stop was a local auto recycler. They had a matching DVD navigation unit like the one in the car, lifetime warranty, for $44.99! I put it on will call last Saturday so no one would snag it before I got there. It works almost perfect: the internal DVD drive doesn't appear to read discs but that's fine. I have no use for the nav and the CD changer in the console works perfectly. I didn't even have to use my Tech 2 to clear the TheftLock. Talk about a score.

After that it was on to the local U-pull yard. Their website said they had 4 Seville's on the lot. I only found 3 of them, but I got what I needed:

The trunk lighting harness on mine is all corroded, so none of the red running lights work. I found a perfect condition harness to replace it, complete with bulbs for $5.

My dash illumination and dome lights did not work when I got it, nor did the auto headlights. After doing research and some diagnosis, I found that the twilight sensor (photocell) was no longer responding to light inputs. I grabbed a couple at the yard while I was there, and sure enough once installed the lights all work as designed.

The last fix was to plug the hole in the manifold where there was a broken off oxygen sensor. I grabbed a small jar of 2400 degree liquid steel stuff at AutoZone and gooped it into the cavity, it filled up nicely and I'm going to leave it overnight to cure.

The only thing left if to order and install a new coolant reservoir so stop a very small leak at the seam and replace the transmission fluid and coolant. I'm into it for $1,400 so far, including purchase price.

I'm jealous man, I went to a new scrapyard and it sucked compared to the one that shut their u pic yard down here about two years ago. All the good parts were gone on every car.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
I'm jealous man, I went to a new scrapyard and it sucked compared to the one that shut their u pic yard down here about two years ago. All the good parts were gone on every car.

U-pull is the last one around here, all the rest got bought up by LKQ and went private. I'm just glad there's still indy recyclers around here that keep the prices low.

That nav unit would have been 3x the price anywhere else.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
Originally Posted by maxdustington

U-pull is the last one around here, all the rest got bought up by LKQ and went private. I'm just glad there's still indy recyclers around here that keep the prices low.

That nav unit would have been 3x the price anywhere else.
This one? https://parts4lessupull.ca/ I went there on sunday, all the cars were picked over. I live in Scarborough 30 mins away from Standard, they would remove picked over cars quickly in the upic and add new cars every day. It was heaven, now all I have are memories
frown.gif

What are these indy recycles of which you speak?

EDIT: NM I thought you were local for a moment.

Last edited:
Nice write-up! I enjoy stories about bringing nice cars back from the dead for not a lot of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back