Remote Start w/ Block Heater Plugged In?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For convenience can I Remote Start my truck while the Block Heater is plugged in?

In the winter I like to Remote Start my truck from my kitchen window about 5 - 10 minutes before heading to work. Defrost/Seat Heater.

This is in a 2015 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel. It snows where we live.

Thanks in advance!

Everybody does it all the time here (Canada). An engine block heater will warm the coolant in the block only, but it won't go beyond summer ambient temperatures, if that warm. They are typically only 600~700 watts. Even a circulating water heater (better than a block heater, as it warms the coolant stored in the radiator as well) won't get that warm, relative to a summer day. Probably closer to maybe 40F on a warm (sub-freezing) winter day. Worry not.

I thought the block heater manufacturers warned against this because the rapidly moving coolant by the heater element could create an air pocket that could allow the element to overheat.

Originally Posted by SavagePatch
For convenience can I Remote Start my truck while the Block Heater is plugged in?

In the winter I like to Remote Start my truck from my kitchen window about 5 - 10 minutes before heading to work. Defrost/Seat Heater.

This is in a 2015 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel. It snows where we live.

Thanks in advance!

Why would you use a block heater? I don't typically plug it in unless they are forecasting lows below -20 C (-4 F)

I read that you say it snows there, but it can snow at any temp near freezing. How cold do you get in California?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by HeritageHighRoof
I thought the block heater manufacturers warned against this because the rapidly moving coolant by the heater element could create an air pocket that could allow the element to overheat.

News to me. An air pocket around a heating element designed to heat liquids typically causes rapid failure of the element ... as in a minute or less. There is some convection movement of coolant due to the heating, but it's not much, and the location of a block heater in the block is relatively low and "wet" ... it's installed in place of one of the block's frost plugs.

Block Heaters in Canada typically outlive the car, and no car leaves the factory for CDM vehicles without one (it's on the option sheet, but you're paying for it as it's installed and the dealer won't delete it), so I don't think this is a real problem. They've been standard factory equipment in Canada since the 1960's (original application was a performance part on Gen II Corvettes, but quickly became standard equipment on all vehicles delivered to Canada).

They are not particularly hot elements in the first place ... gasoline engines use either a 400 watt (4 cyl), 600 watt (V6 and smallblock V8s) or 750 watt (big block V8's, V10's) unit, and even diesel engines are only 1000 watts (they won't physically fit in a gas engine). A 15A circuit is 1800 watts and even allowing for extension cords (eg, typical circular saw) they still can safely provide 13A (1560 watts).

To get an idea of the heat energy they provide, it takes three hours to warm a car's coolant level to the point where the heat lost is equal to the heat added at below freezing temperatures.

I did this all the time with my G8, Ram 1500 and Ram 3500 CTD. I would even leave the heater plugged in from time to time on my trailblazer, which I had to start with the key. Never had an issue but just remember to lay the cord in such a fashion that you remember to unplug it before driving away. Seen this many times and it "may" have happened to me.... once... years ago....

Never had to replace a block heater and don't remember anyone I know having to either.

I do it all the time, with an oil pan heater, transmission pan heater, and a block heater.

I did it all the time with my Journey. I would have my smart plug turn on my block heater 5 hours before leaving in the morning and then I would remote start 10 minutes before I left the house on the really cold mornings. Works great.

Since OP said convinience and he lives 8n California,I would say skip plugging in the block heater and just remote start. I find plugging in the block heater to be a minor pita, especially when it snows. I just remote start the cars and I'm pretty sure Ontario weather is much, much colder than the coldest CA has to offer.

Where in California do you live where it gets that cold ? The high desert or the mountains?

As others have asked, how cold are we talking? Most manufacturers don't recommend using a block heater until temps are below zero, and some even have a thermostat in the plug that doesn't allow the block heater to actually turn on until temps are below zero. (GM in particular).

If you insist on doing the remote start and block heater thing, as others have pointed out make sure you set it up to remind you to unplug the cord. Been there, done that...

If it drops below -15C overnight we'll plug in the cars parked outside overnight, just to make things easier on the starting system and engine.
All on a 4 hour timer before start.
Otherwise, the 0W-20 synthetics will take care of business.

Originally Posted by CT8
Where in California do you live where it gets that cold ? The high desert or the mountains?

Tahoe.

I'd like to start using it so that the defrost gets working quicker. This little 3.0L diesel doesn't get to temp very quickly when only idiling. I also live directly off the freeway so there's no "back road" time.before I hit the freeway for my morning commute.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SavagePatch

It might be overkill, but hey, this is BITOG. I've done it. I've got a better idea. You winter up here, I'll winter there.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back