oil filter for 18.5 B&S Intek

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a 2004 Sears Craftsman riding mower with a 18.5 horse Briggs & Stratton Intek. Is there an automotive oil filter alternative to the $10.00 BS filter? Will an automotive oil filter work safely with my engine? Any suggestions?

There you go James! I use the oversized wix 51516 on my 20hp kohler command twin. Works out great. Briggs, kohlers & kawi's pretty much use the same filters. 3/4-16 threads, 2.9" diameter. Use the longest one you can safely.
G/luck
Joel

I just put on a Purolator L10241 on my B&S Intek 21.5hp along with some free Maxlife 10W-30 and it now runs quiter and smoother than ever. Previously was running Briggs filter with Pennzoil HD30. Wish I would have switched sooner.

How did you know that the Purolator would be OK for that engine? It's not a cross-reference I've seen anywhere. I have a new Briggs 22HP Intek and the only filter I could find other than the $10 John Deere/Briggs filters is a NAPA/WIX and they charged me even more!($12) The Purolator cross reference for this engine is an L35310 (and nobody carries it) and I'm afraid to use anything that's not a direct cross-reference from a catalog but I don't want to continue paying $10-$12 for a filter than should cost $3-$4 either. Thanks for any info you can provide! (The Fram cross reference is PH 8172 and nobody carries it either)

If the filters have the same size threads and the gasket is the same size, what's the difference in the filters?
dunno.gif

I don't know--that's why I was asking--I assume that there are other differences otherwise these would all cross-reference. ???

The purolator filter that I am running was found due to cross reference in a book. Why don't you try referencing the NAPA/WIX number you have back to Purolator and see what you get.

I did cross reference already--the original filter is a Briggs & Stratton 492932 which crossed with a Purolator L35310, Fram PH 8172, Wix/NAPA 51056.

James408, The correct filter for the briggs is a ST3614 which also fits Toyota 4-Runner etc. I use a lot of ST7317 which came to immediate mind, but the larger 3614 Suptertech is right and only $2.07. Please excuse my above part # to your post.
pat.gif
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back