Any prius owners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering the prius c, been studying up on the prius seems best miles for the money.

Any long term prius owners? What's your likes, dislikes etc?

Own two 2005s with 260k each.

The Prius C looks like a compromise in the Scrooge McDuck direction with its tiny tires etc. Just get the regular sized one.

I appreciate the freedom of getting 50 MPG. Want to drive 8 miles to Walmart? No guilt.

2008 Prius, 150k, runs great with normal maintenance. The rear hatch failed (common in that vintage). I save over $1000/year in gas over most other cars. And I would avoid the Prius C. Consumer Reports said it was just a Toyota Yaris with an expensive powertrain. They thought the regular prius was much better. I agree. Avoid the C unless you like road noise and a harsh ride.

If I had to purchase a Prius it would be the standard model for the reasons listed above. This weekend I drove my Camry Hybrid to our family's lake house. Over a 165 mile trip it averaged 47 MPG. This trip included many stretches of high speed, a few passing maneuvers, and two stops in cities. The hybrid system is really good.

My friends in Ohio have a Prius C and a Sienna. They love the Prius and it's their second one. The first one was bought used and they drove it 200,000 miles with minimal repairs. Rust got it that's why they retired it. Batteries were also worn down in efficiency as well.

Last edited:
2014 C model 2 in the family with 132K on it so far. Averages mid to upper 40s through MN winters on X-ice snows and mid to upper 50s the rest of the year (mostly highway).
Like the car because it has a real shift lever, responsive steering and interior doesn't feel cramped.
10K oil changes using 0W-20 Napa synthetic and Napa Gold filter. Changed transaxle fluid at 100K.
Uses no oil and starts up with no issues at -35F.

Drove a 2017 (2018?) a few miles and hated it. LCD's all over the place and it squawked at me when I tried out cruise in a "residential" area. Felt slow and gutless. But maybe I just needed to be more aggressive on the throttle.

At upwards of 50mpg (probably 40 the way I drive) it really should be on my list for my next commuter car. Someday I should take a spin in an older one and see if I still dislike it. Maybe I just need a roll of black tape to fix the dashboard.

Originally Posted by Zee09
The Ford Fusion Hybrid and the C-Max are my choice over the Prius
Also the Honda Insight

Both of those vehicles are being discontinued by Ford next year.
We have 100 fusion hybrids here at work and they are good cars but no where close to a Prius in efficiency or reliability. Our Fusions here at work go through 12v start batteries way too often and FORD had the nuts to tell us that we have to drive them every day or the batteries will die.(not the Hybrid battery). Additionally we have had a few that just lost all power on the road and one that all four brakes locked up and it wouldn't move. Overall I still like the cars and the interior on the '17 and '18's is really nice and comfy.

At home we are on our 2nd and 3rd Prius', the first was a 2006 that we put 165k miles on with no mechanical issues aside from the 30 minute job replacing the water pump at 125k. The 2016 Touring model we have is at 84k miles and is a really nice car with zero issues. The 16 is my wife's DD for home health, she has a lot of idling time and still avgs 59 mpg. The 2013 we got used 2 years ago and it is as perfectly reliable as one could expect. One thing I like about the Prius is that maintenance is really easy. Oil/filter changes are a snap and even trans fluid changes are easy. The brake pads/(shoes depending on model) can last 100k. We did not buy these cars because we wanted to have less of an environmental impact, that is a bonus...we got them for efficiency and reliability.

We drove the Prius C back in 15 or 16 and the description of a Yaris with a hybrid motor was spot on ...i say avoid it.

I have a 2011 as my daily driver, currently at 173K with very minimal repairs to date. The EGR system and headgasket are major ticking time bombs on the 10-15's though. For this reason I recommend getting a 04-09. The older ones will require more frequent repairs, but the repairs are simpler, cheaper and much more DIY'able.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back