What oil for a 4-stroke weed trimmer with what I have on hand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a troy-bilt trimmer with a ryobi 4-stroke engine. It calls for 30w, and holds a whoppin 3.4 ounces. I got a 1/2 qt of valvoline 10w40 motorcycle oil, some pennzoil 10w30 pzl turbo API SH, 1/2 qt of german castrol (green), an old qt of mobil1 10w30 API SH, and some valvoline vr1 10w30 that has a bunch a zinc in it. The oil doesent get hot in it like you might think. My lawn mower is a 2-stroke, and I have no other uses for these oils. Also, does anyone know if this engine is splash lubricated?

Drive-it, I'd run the GC, which at 12 cSt & being a synthetic, should be perfect for this application.

From what I know of these 4 stroke trimmer's, the lubrication is accomplished thru a splash wheel or slinger.

Yes, it amazes me that the total sump capacity is 3.4 ozs and this small quantity of oil stands up to the operating temps of the engine!

I used Mobil 1 10w-30 in my Ryobi 4-cycle weedeater for a couple of seasons, but after reading here, may go with something else. Also, have a Troy Built mini tiller/cultivator with basically the same motor. That little oil bottle cracks me up. Just did the oil change on the tiller last fall.

Id use the heaviest stuff (in this case GC), as these engines with air cooling tend to run very hot.

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back