can i use 0w40 in car that calls for 5w30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was gifted some liqua moly 0w40 synthoil energy recently. I was wondering the effects if i used it in my sons 2009 Sonata with 72000 miles?
He is currently using Quaker State WM bulk fill 5w30 and 3500-5000 mile changes.
The car burns no oil between changes.
Just worried about the 100c cst and other possible side effects.

Hyundai is very liberal in their owners manual as to what oil weight can be used.

I plan on using some Rotella T6 5w-40 in my sisters 2010 Santa Fe, which has had 0w-20, 5w-20, and 5w-30 used in it's 160,000 miles of service.
It is using about 1 qt of oil every 7500 miles, so I will see if the thicker oil helps any at all with that (not that 1 qt/7500 miles is bad).

I also may be using some T6 in my mom's Saturn Vue that is spec's for 5w-30 when I run out of my xw-30 oils.

No worries at all. I have run 0w40 in our KIA and would do it again in a heartbeat. No issues whatsoever.

A 20 grade is much thicker at start up than a warmed up 40 grade, and that doesn't hurt anything, does it? Most engines are far more tolerant of oil variations than the manual and CAFE spooked manufacturers would have you believe.

While I agree 0w40 will work in nearly anything, my favorite "universal do all" oil is the venerable 10w30.

Originally Posted by KCJeep
No worries at all. I have run 0w40 in our KIA and would do it again in a heartbeat. No issues whatsoever.

A 20 grade is much thicker at start up than a warmed up 40 grade, and that doesn't hurt anything, does it? Most engines are far more tolerant of oil variations than the manual and CAFE spooked manufacturers would have you believe.

While I agree 0w40 will work in nearly anything, my favorite "universal do all" oil is the venerable 10w30.

Very good point KCJEEP
smile.gif

The high vis guys were up early this morning. According to the Liqui Moly website the 0w40 is rated as SM which makes it suitable for gasoline engines. The rest of this is just the classic high vis vs low vis duel. Pick your side and go with it.

07.gif
36.gif
23.gif

Last edited:
I have a 2006 Buick Allure/Lacrosse with 3.8l v6. GM frowns on any viscosity other than 5w30.
No 10w40 or 20w50. If - 20* or colder, they recommend 5w30 Synthetic. I have been considering 5w40 also.

Dont see much gasoline engines running on 5w-30 oils in here in EU. Common here is the 5w-40 and 0w-40

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
The high vis guys were up early this morning. According to the Liqui Moly website the 0w40 is rated as SM which makes it suitable for gasoline engines. The rest of this is just the classic high vis vs low vis duel. Pick your side and go with it.

07.gif
36.gif
23.gif

Duel ?

What thread are you reading, or is this the equivalent of "IBTL" in other threads.

Poster asked if it was OK...technically correct answer is YES...pure and simple, how is it a "thick/thin duel" ?

With 0w-40, are there any concerns related to outside temperatures, e.g. only use in warm climates, good for all temperatures, etc ?

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
With 0w-40, are there any concerns related to outside temperatures, e.g. only use in warm climates, good for all temperatures, etc ?

Why would there be?
It is a 0W qualified oil after all.
This higher HTHS brew will also experience more temporary shear going through the mains so will warm up more quickly than a 5W-30.
Win-Win?
The Sonata won't care either way and these probably have as much as a 20W-50 included among the recommended grades for them in some markets (Australia) anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back