Anybody make beef jerky?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a big fan of beef jerky and have been making it at home for some time. I'm interested to see some of your marinade recipes. I like the two I use but am looking to try something new

That just gave me an idea to promote this, a new hat, very unique, not borrowed from any existing hat idea:

BEEF.jpg

I haven't done it for a few years but using local grass fed beef it ism outstanding.

I had a dehydrator and made it once. It didn't turn out.
Try making some marinating it in Kentucky bourbon.

I use a mixture of roughly half and half of Dale's sauce and Coke then dust with coarse black pepper. I don't marinate it though, I just lay the meat out on some foil on the smoker and brush the mixture on.

I make it once or twice a year, using my smoker. Generally only works best when it's cool/cold outside, at least here in Phoenix. When it's 100+ outside, can't really get the right temp range.

marinating liquid varies each time, at least somewhat, but pretty much always includes a base of soy sauce and a little worsteshire.

Jerky was about the only thing my Brinkman was any good at.

Now the trick...
Get a clip lock flat storage container, and cut up your beef strips.
Put a drizzle of molasses, a sprinkle of salt, and your dry seasoning on the bottom.
Layer of meat, close packed.
Drizzle of molasses, a sprinkle of salt, and your dry seasoning
Layer of meat, across the first, again close packed.

After all your layers are made, drizzle of molasses, sprinkle of salt and seasoning.

It's important that the process is DRY, not a sloppy marinade.

Leave refrigerated overnight...in the morning, the juices have left the meat, and there will be a layer of fluid, 1/4"+ thick.

Leave it overnight again (or two), until all of the juice is sucked back in...the meat will no longer be floppy, will be semi stiff.

Then smoked over charcoal briquettes and mesquite, using the snail technique, with a chuck of wood around every third briquette.

Originally Posted by Shannow
Jerky was about the only thing my Brinkman was any good at.

Now the trick...
Get a clip lock flat storage container, and cut up your beef strips.
Put a drizzle of molasses, a sprinkle of salt, and your dry seasoning on the bottom.
Layer of meat, close packed.
Drizzle of molasses, a sprinkle of salt, and your dry seasoning
Layer of meat, across the first, again close packed.

After all your layers are made, drizzle of molasses, sprinkle of salt and seasoning.

It's important that the process is DRY, not a sloppy marinade.

Leave refrigerated overnight...in the morning, the juices have left the meat, and there will be a layer of fluid, 1/4"+ thick.

Leave it overnight again (or two), until all of the juice is sucked back in...the meat will no longer be floppy, will be semi stiff.

Then smoked over charcoal briquettes and mesquite, using the snail technique, with a chuck of wood around every third briquette.

Wow your flavoring process is close to mine! I do dry as well. I take a london broil and rub it all over with salt ( kills bacteria ). I put it in the freezer just long enough for it to firm up so i can slice it thin. I remove all the fat i see.

I slice it and each layer gets hickory smoked salt( or mesquite smoked salt), powdered onion, A touch of garlic salt, fresh cracked pepper. It sits 24hours in the fridge to acquire flavor. I then pour dark molasses cut 1/2 with warm water and add enough to wet the stack. I stir the strips around and then place them on my dehydrator.

Last edited:
Ive always wanted to try. Seems that it can be made in an oven, versus smoker or dehydrator. Anyone do it that way?

I've tried it a few times in the over, at low temperature and the door cracked...not a raging success, although some people have had good results.

Fan forced modern oven maybe

Never tried the oven. I use a american harvest stack dehydrator. I just put a london broil in the freezer to firm up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back