Current Ford 3.5 Ti-VCT V6 Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zee09

$200 Site Donor 2023
Question on the new 2018-19 Fords with this normally aspirated 3.5 Ti-VCT V6 Engine

Do the latest still have the chain driven water pump? I know that revisions came about in 2012
and this engine is labeled as revised in 2015. But all of the bad news seems to be early on
Can't find any details on the new models. Thanks all!

If it's in an FWD/AWD transverse application most likely yes. It was/is due to packaging constraints in that layout. The RWD (Mustang/F150) and it' variants use an external water pump. It is very tight on that side in the Taurus based platform (Taurus/Explorer)

Sure it's not the best design but with the millions and millions of these things on the road since 2007 it's not the catastrophe some make it out to be. Remember it is/was in the Edge, Explorer, Taurus. 500, MKX, etc. The Ecoboost 3.5 in those variants also shares the same design. Nearing 130k on mine on the original water pump.

Last edited:
I don't think the make the 3.5 anymore.
In the trucks, it was replaced by a 3.3 this year.

Originally Posted by KJSmith

Yes I have seen that.
I think the Flex is but that might be a typo- says 2019 is the 3.5 ????????

Thanks Itguy08

Originally Posted by itguy08
If it's in an FWD/AWD transverse application most likely yes. It was/is due to packaging constraints in that layout. The RWD (Mustang/F150) and it' variants use an external water pump. It is very tight on that side in the Taurus based platform (Taurus/Explorer)

Sure it's not the best design but with the millions and millions of these things on the road since 2007 it's not the catastrophe some make it out to be. Remember it is/was in the Edge, Explorer, Taurus. 500, MKX, etc. The Ecoboost 3.5 in those variants also shares the same design. Nearing 130k on mine on the original water pump.

the FiveHundred (500 is a Fiat - a bit pedantic i know, but...) used the old 3.0l Duratec.

Originally Posted by KJSmith

They do(local product), and the 3.3 is largely the same engine, just a smaller bore.

Is there something awful about the chain driven water pump in these engines? I had the pleasure (my best sarcasm) of replacing a chain driven pump in my Maxima, whose transverse V6 is really shoehorned in there. It was worse than a traditional water pump, but not terribly bad, however there is an access cover that allows replacement without removing the whole front/chain cover. Is the Ford product the same way? Just curious and apologize if I'm hijacking.

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
Is there something awful about the chain driven water pump in these engines? I had the pleasure (my best sarcasm) of replacing a chain driven pump in my Maxima, whose transverse V6 is really shoehorned in there. It was worse than a traditional water pump, but not terribly bad, however there is an access cover that allows replacement without removing the whole front/chain cover. Is the Ford product the same way? Just curious and apologize if I'm hijacking.

No problem.
It seems that when the water pump starts to go bad it can leak directly into the oil pan.
Nothing to stop that from happening. Now that did happen early on and that's why I was wondering
if they at least remedied the situation.

Some dealerships were scamming saying it was a 24 hr job while independents were charging about $1100.
for the complete repair. Of course most engines were well over 100k miles.

I understand the Ecoboost is the same way on the 3.5.
I guess if it was a huge problem they would have fixed it. Of course maybe not since it occurs after the warranty is up.

Wow, duly noted if I'm ever looking at a Ford vehicle. FWIW, when the chain driven pump in my Maxima went bad, the coolant dripped via the weep-hole (like it's supposed to) right onto the ground, there is a channel built in to allow this. I sure hope Ford would have remedied this by now.

Wow, duly noted if I'm ever looking at a Ford vehicle. FWIW, when the chain driven pump in my Maxima went bad, the coolant dripped via the weep-hole (like it's supposed to) right onto the ground, there is a channel built in to allow this. I sure hope Ford would have remedied this by now.

There is a weep hole on the Ford 3.5. It's supposed to leak there first but I'd imagine if the gasket lets go it wouldn't do much good. Or if you hardly ever checked your oil and noticed the mliky sludge.

It's not the best of designs but for the transverse applications I get how they had to shoehorn it in there.

Originally Posted by itguy08

There is a weep hole on the Ford 3.5. It's supposed to leak there first but I'd imagine if the gasket lets go it wouldn't do much good. Or if you hardly ever checked your oil and noticed the mliky sludge.

It's not the best of designs but for the transverse applications I get how they had to shoehorn it in there.

Yes and they have two lines of gaskets on the pump.
Don't know if that was the 2012 or 2015 redesign????
Can't find any updates that were incorporated in the 2015 redesign. Ford mentioned it but no further info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back