I bought a Camry that was parked in a field for a year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boredom is a helluva drug. Replaced some rotten trim around my house. Upgraded my standby generator transfer switch. Need a project car!

Craigslist is getting stupid so I'm also watching Facebook Marketplace. Aha! A new, fertile ground of beaters, brought to us by vain social media consumers.

Went up there, checked the car out, I got there 5 min early and the seller and her boyfriend are trying to jump-start this car with four flat tires sitting in a gravel field. They are not having much luck. Give it a little more time and she fires off but dies seconds after the jumper cables are removed. Ad mentions nothing of alternator trouble. I lowball them, they counter, we don't make a deal. I wait. I crack first.
crazy.gif
Say what you will, but it's not rusted out.

Go back there with my piggy bank, truck, and tow dolly and buy the darn thing on its four flat tires. As I air them up the PO casually mentions that the left rear tire's locked up from sitting. I pull stunts like dragging it forwards and backwards, up on and off the pavement, but she won't budge. Defeated, I head home, and pack additional tools and hammers for the next day.

Next day, or as I call it, today, I achieve success. The old parking brake shoes were half-delaminated and a general pile of dusty junk. Removed all the pieces and slapped the rotor, caliper, and wheel back on for towing.

On to the alternator situation: We all thought the alternator had gone kablooey but it turns out it was just its 100 amp fuse. Maybe the kids popped it during the jump starting or maybe this is what parked the thing. I noticed upon initial inspection that the tach didn't work nor did the power seats, windows, or pretty much anything. Considered this "good news" because it should be one stupid thing way upstream, and I was not wrong.

Did some shenanigans backfeeding the "power seats" fuse which I know to be hot only in "run", not "start". Figured that the ignition switch was set up for "essential services" on one start/run circuit and for non-essentials on another. Toyota schematics confirm this. BTW, the car acts pretty weird when this power is given and taken away while it's already running. Heck, I made a video!

2000 Camry FTW!

I had a 97' that I accidentally shorted out the alternator fuse when grounding out the power wire to the alternator while changing the timing belt. It did the same thing, started but nothing worked.

There's a mid 2000s Avalon sitting in an overgrown yard on my commute. Every summer, the grass consumes it and every fall someone comes along with a mower and weed eater and it reappears. Not sure why it never moves. Mechanical issue? Elderly owner who no longer drives? Not sure. Seems like a good candidate for rescue.

Originally Posted by cpayne5
There's a mid 2000s Avalon sitting in an overgrown yard on my commute. Every summer, the grass consumes it and every fall someone comes along with a mower and weed eater and it reappears. Not sure why it never moves. Mechanical issue? Elderly owner who no longer drives? Not sure. Seems like a good candidate for rescue.
Whenever I see a vehicle like that I always assume the transmission, especially if it looks to be in decent condition. Probably got towed there and cannot leave under it's own power.

Working with just a scissor jack on what looks like questionable ground?? Yikes.

My MIL had one of these in v6 form. Sludgemonster thst smoked at startup, but ran strong. The plastic parts decomposed around the drivetrain. One of the worst driving vehicles Ive operated. Couch on wheels, terrible turning radius, scraped on uneven terrain.

But the v6 ran very strong, and it fit a lot of stuff...

Good luck!

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Working with just a scissor jack on what looks like questionable ground?? Yikes.

My MIL had one of these in v6 form. Sludgemonster thst smoked at startup, but ran strong. The plastic parts decomposed around the drivetrain. One of the worst driving vehicles Ive operated. Couch on wheels, terrible turning radius, scraped on uneven terrain.

But the v6 ran very strong, and it fit a lot of stuff...

Good luck!

She must have got a Friday car, or maybe it was made in the U.S.?

My Camry is ugly as heck, but it drives pretty good!

If you're ever in Phoenix, I invite you to take the beast on a test drive!
grin2.gif

I'm impressed how the pinch weld didn't complain about being held up by the jack. Big score for the price paid.

Ha! yet another Camry lives to see another day.

Not sure what you mean on the power seat. Just checked mine. No key in the car and the power seat moves. Would guess it's off during start but mine is hot the rest of the time.

At least the drums on mine slid off, no hammer involved (I guess Arizona is a good place for cars). Yours has way better paint, save for that rust spot.

Yeah I was concerned because the power seat and power locks should be "key off" operable items. But that's the way she's wired. It's all good with that "ALT" fuse repaired. Might have interdependent relays. And there's an abandoned remote starter in the mix. Pulled its fuse.

Also needs a PS pump which is tucked under quite neatly. (painfully?) Might be an exhaust leak somewhere or it might be throaty due to a resonator delete. AC blows cold but the fan resistor only works on high.

I don't climb "under" cars on wobbly jacks, but working in a wheel well isn't "under".

The owner's manual has the "sludge letter"/ class action lawsuit extended warranty. Car could use valve cover gaskets so maybe we'll have a look at the 1MZ-FE.

Awesome work again, eljefino.

For $300, you got a really clean car, considering you are in the rust belt!

This a flip or keep?

Power Locks and Seat work with key off in mine, too, so long as the "ALT" 100 A fuse is good. It seems like a misnomer for a master fuse that covers nearly everything.

It was dreadful navigating this heap up onto the dolly since the previous owner was a short girl who pulled the seat way forward, and I couldn't crack the windows to escape the summertime heat and old car smell.
lol.gif

Well, I've gotten around to fixing a few bugs. Got the e-brake rebuilt. Cable was jammed from non-use so I unbolted it from the backing plate, coiled it real tight, and whipped it around on the ground. Freed it up.
laugh.gif
I then "exercised" it by hanging the rotor off its end with a vise grips and cycling the lever.

The resonator developed a crack in its output. I liberated it and its hacked together piping (five hose clamps!) and was removing my muffler "temporarily" to prep it for welding when I found a hole in it too. So the car got a custom cat-back system, 2-1/4 piping the whole way, and a Thrush Turbo muffler. It drones a little but not too bad. My "custom" exhaust hangs higher up than the stock one you see on so many of these!

The 1MZFE wasn't sludged any more than any other car. Did the valve cover gaskets.

Power steering pump was a hassle from start to finish. At least the upper bracket has a notch-- the bolt that retains it can't be fully removed with the engine in the car. My arms were tangled in the brake hoses and tie rod ends that make up the front, and the best working position on a creeper involved a brake rotor on my chest.

Drove it around the block, trying to get some emissions monitors flagged. About ready for plates!

DSC_0106.JPG

DSC_0112.JPG

DSC_0113.JPG

DSC_0109.JPG

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
How much do you have into it and are you going to sell it?

about 450 plus probably going to get plates for 200. We'll see if I like it once I start driving it. I have multiple sets of snow- and summer tires left over from my 02 camry that I just dumped.

My blower fan. It was still well-balanced and just a little noisy! The resistor burned out, probably due to lack of airflow. Found corrosion on its terminal, maybe mouse organics.
sick.gif

DSC_0114.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back