Austin, TX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always enjoyed the Poppadeaux's seafood restaurant near Dallas, I found it excellent. There's a really good steakhouse downtown too, though I can't remember the name. Make sure you see the Kennedy memorial and the museum!

Make sure to visit the DFW gun range if you have a chance. They have a pile of awesome guns to shoot for a reasonable price including the AK, Grease Gun, Thompson, Uzi...etc. Great group there too.

All of the Pappas restaurants are good for the money … but Austin has better bbq than Houston/Dallas …

Keep Austin weird!

Originally Posted By: 4WD
All of the Pappas restaurants are good for the money … but Austin has better bbq than Houston/Dallas …

Keep Austin weird!

Yeah, I hit them all
thumbsup2.gif
My favourite was the seafood though, thought it was an awesome experience, I went there with 2015_PSD at one point too when we both happened to be in Dallas at the same time.

Yes … it’s always my last meal at Houston IAH and then I’ll have just appetizers and bubbly on my long haul …

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Yes … it’s always my last meal at Houston IAH and then I’ll have just appetizers and bubbly on my long haul …

thumbsup2.gif

BTW … as chains go … I’ve had carnivore delights at those Kegs up there …
another good value that doesn’t break the bank
(I say that after approving expense accounts for my Fogo fiends today)

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Bodacious BBQ,Arlington,Tx. Best BBQ on the planet!!

Ok, let’s see if GM boy validates …

My oldest brother took cover while the nut was in the tower …
How’s Barton Springs these days ?

Waco Tx ? Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum.
West Tx ? Kolaches and sausage there could be a whole other thread about which place is the best but honestly they're all good.

As someone who has lived nearby since the late 70's, much of former Austin has been bulldozed and replaced by hipster central. Both Franklins & The Oasis are major tourist traps. Black's BBQ in Austin is shipped in daily from Lockhart, where the original BBQ dynasties were found. Driving to Louie Mueller's and Makeskas in Taylor is worth the trip.

Barton Springs is worth a trip. The water is 68F year round and a welcome relief on a hot, humid day. Emerald Point on Lake Travis is also scenic. Getting on the lake and into the many coves requires a boat or kayak. The heat is brutal this time of year.

Driving to Dallas and back in a single day is brutal...the traffic on I-35 is horrendous. A drive to Wimberely and back is about 100 miles. Visit the Blue Hole, Jacob's Well and the Devil's Backbone further South if you have time.

Matt's El Rancho is one of the oldest Mexican restaurants still open. Hut's Hamburgers has been open since the 40's I think. Haven't been to either in decades though.

An underground trip to Inner Space Caves or Longhorn Caverns is great to escape the heat. Lots of porous limestone caves here.

I'd suggest touring Town Lake by the party barge near the Hyatt. You'll also get to see the bats, be on the water and out of the traffic. You may also be able to take a similar trip on Lake Austin.

Don't over-heat...

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
My wife travels for her job and says Texans don't like change and being told how to their job.

I worked with one nice TX fella and this is true. He walked out on one of our client "suggesting" him on what to try.

I've eaten some good (and bad) food all around the world, but being a foodie has likewise never been a high priority. I'm more about riding a Motorcycle anywhere I can. Whether it's on scenic roads in various countries, or on a sanctioned MotoGP track.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: tightwad
I forgot to mention places to go. I second the capitol building. It is impressive. It was the largest state capitol until Nebraska and Louisiana built skyscrapers.(lots of tradition there) If you have time, The Alamo in San Antonio is an awesome place. Texas will never split itself up as people sometimes theorize about, because only one of the pieces would be able to have The Alamo. If you want more BBQ, head over to Lockhart, TX, the BBQ capitol of the world. There's Smitty's, Kruetz Market, and the original Black's. The LBJ Library is on the UT campus, just off I-35. The LBJ Ranch is not too far away, in Rockwall, near Johnson City. It has been restored to be just as it was when it was the Texas White House. LBJ and Lady Bird are buried at the family cemetery there. Everything's bigger in Texas, including convenience stores. The Buckee's in New Braunfels is the largest in the chain and may be the largest in the world. One hundred and twenty gas pumps. (yes, I counted them) Imagine a Walmart full of knick-knacks, packaged food, truck accessories, and every kind of fresh fast food you can imagine. You want fresh-made candy. Watch 'em make it! Too much more to list. BTW, my future nephew is a grillmaster at the Black's BBQ in San Marcos. Small world.
Watch out for those dudes wearing the oversized belt buckles. They don't measure up.
banana2.gif
banana2.gif
banana2.gif

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
Seafood in Texas ? Not for this Maryland boy- the best seafood is local for me.

So, it turns out, Texas is oceanfront...

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
Seafood in Texas ? Not for this Maryland boy- the best seafood is local for me.

The "local" seafood probably comes straight off the Sysco truck haha
laugh.gif

sysco.jpg

aquariuscsm, that's probably more true now than ever with fishing communities like Rockport still trying to recover from Hurricane Harvey. At least most students have been able to return to their home district's school buildings this school year.

Originally Posted by sleddriver
As someone who has lived nearby since the late 70's, much of former Austin has been bulldozed and replaced by hipster central. Both Franklins & The Oasis are major tourist traps. Black's BBQ in Austin is shipped in daily from Lockhart, where the original BBQ dynasties were found. Driving to Louie Mueller's and Makeskas in Taylor is worth the trip.

Terry Black's has working pits at the Barton Springs Road location (which for old-time Austinites used to be Holiday House), so not all the meat is brought from Lockhart. The hipsters in the neighborhood on the hill behind it complained about the smoke, so they had to put some filtration on the pit stacks, but it still smells good.

The Kreuz/Smitty's BBQ family (the Schmidts) also opened Schmidt Family BBQ in Bee Cave (an Austin suburb) and the pitmaster did internship stints at both Smittty's and Kreuz's in Lockhart before they opened Schmidt's, so its also supposed to be up to Lockhart quality. I haven't tried it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back