Considering a 2017-2018 Wrangler JK

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I both prefer smaller vehicles, so we are only considering a two door. Most likely a Winter Edition- automatic, Trac-Lok rear axle, LED headlamps, heated seats, and Alpine audio. I'd appreciate any suggestions or caveats. As my sig points out, I already have a TJ, so I'm not expecting the NVH of a luxury sedan or the ride/handling/braking of an M3.

I'd see about heading north to the Toledo area for a plant tour. If the Jeep hasn't been built yet you might be able to pick it up at the factory in case you want a 2019. i was just in that area last week. Pretty cool and they've updated the plants quite a bit. You used to be able to see all the storage lots but now they're all covered up with high fences that you can't see through.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/toledo-jeep-wrangler-plant-assembly-tour.1303/

Last edited:
Originally Posted by madRiver
Try both 4dr too. I think the 4dr rides quite a bit better.

It looks really cool as well. i fell in love with the 4 door when it first came out and my neighbor has one and I enjoy the looks.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Try both 4dr too. I think the 4dr rides quite a bit better.

Thanks, but we don't want the extra 20" in overall length. We have driven a 2 door JK and find the ride to be more than satisfactory.

They are excellent and really hold their resale value as well. The PentaStar V6 is bullet proof, not fussy/hard on oil. use a quality conventional or better that meets MS-6395 and you are good to go for many miles. Just change your Trans/Diff/Transfer case fluids regularly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
They are excellent and really hold their resale value as well. The PentaStar V6 is bullet proof, not fussy/hard on oil. use a quality conventional or better that meets MS-6395 and you are good to go for many miles. Just change your Trans/Diff/Transfer case fluids regularly.

Thanks, I already maintain my TJ the same way, so there won't be any major adjustment as to maintenance- except that oil changes on the Pentastar are a bit easier.

Originally Posted by dareo
Any reason your not looking at the new JL?

I can get a new 2017 JK equipped the way I want for@$7000 less.

My wife has a '17 2-door WILLYS Edition, she loves it. We had some transmission problems when it was new, which have been resolved. I think it was a fluke since I didn't see a lot of issues on the forums. Watch out for squeaky seats, ours had that as did others, that has been resolved too. Doors fit tight, so if you have a hard top, it helps to crack the window a bit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JetStar
My wife has a '17 2-door WILLYS Edition, she loves it. We had some transmission problems when it was new, which have been resolved. I think it was a fluke since I didn't see a lot of issues on the forums. Watch out for squeaky seats, ours had that as did others, that has been resolved too. Doors fit tight, so if you have a hard top, it helps to crack the window a bit.

Thanks for the insight; it pretty much confirms my observations.

After reading about some issues with the new JL, it seems like a JK is the better option reliability wise.

The 3.6L 2 door with the 8speed Auto should be a nice combo for sure.

The 4,6 & 8 speeds are good transmissions. It's the 9 speed that has been problematic in the past and not enough time has passed since then to make sure they are out of the woods yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back