IPhone 4 I think - can't upgrade - work phone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go to app store try downloading a different browser. See if opera mini is available I run android not familiar with the iOS apps.

I have an old work iPhone 4s that I got left with after an upgrade, that I now use upstairs to control my Thermostat, Smart Plugs, and to arm/disarm the alarm. That's all it's good for now because most sites on it don't work any longer thanks to Apple having it restricted to iOS 9 and that limits what apps I can install on it so most browsers no longer support this low of iOS and so it is basically useless.
frown.gif

Last edited:
My personal phone is an iPhone 4-it is pretty much only good for phone calls, texting, and running Google Voice. Unfortunately the 4 has passed end of life, the iOS can no longer be updated. Darn thing refuses to die, though! The 4 phones I've had have been the most reliable ones I've used-mine has already outlasted a 4S & a 6!

What network you on?

My friend had the IPhone 4 in his drawer as a backup phone, Sprint refused to activate it on his account. Said oldest model IPhone supported is the 5

I am on Tracfone CDMA, which is Verizon (since my 4 was formerly Verizon Prepaid). Limited to 3G data (which I rarely use anyway). I had fun activating it with them, though, because it has no SIM card. Took a long time with TFW Tech Support.

Originally Posted by Y_K
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Another browser to try is Yandex, but it requires iOS 9 and up...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/yandex-browser/id483693909?mt=8

Just keep in mind that the whole Yandex lego toy is a KGB/FSB project. Very capable programmers, great mathematicians

I'm sure Kremlin is very interested in every post I make on BITOG.
smile.gif

That's as opposed to Chrome where theoretically Google can sniff on my activities and influence the content I see.

If you're so worried, put on your tin foil hat right now and disconnect from the Internet immediately.

I like the MVNO companies, I had net10 for years now I am on cricket wireless. Basically AT&T with massively capped data speeds.

Originally Posted by SR5
Another issue (at least for me) is that Verizon is shutting down their CDMA phone network as of 12/31/2019-which basically makes any Verizon iPhone older than a 6 that can't handle VoLTE worthless as a phone, even on an MVNO. I have a brand new SE coming to replace it.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
My iPhone 4 is still working on this site, BTW.

OK, I have an iPhone 3GS (not 4) and it's about 10 years old. Looks like time to upgrade.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back