New tv's just don't last

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a samsung two years ago and last night it died violently watching the news and proceeded to smoke up the house. Had to drag out the zenith from the garage that still works fine.
I wish those bean counters at these manufacturers would at least use quality components to make tv's last longer than two years.

zenithtelevisionsetmodely1908w_1.jpg

My 56" Samsung DLP 1080P television is 12 years old and works good as the day I bought it. I replaced one bulb in it, not because the old one burned out, but because they're supposed to only last 5-6 years and I was on year 10 and didn't want any surprises. I paid $2,700 for this TV new though, I doubt the cheap sub-$1000 TVs get you an semblance of quality.

Looks like you got a dud.

I have a 13 yr old Samsung LCD monitor that still works great on my spare computer.
I've got 11 yr old and 5 yr old Vizio TV's that are also working fine.

i have 3 Samsungs in the house. The oldest is 12 years old, the one in the bedroom is 5 years old and the one in the living room is coming up to 3 years old. Could it be the plug you are using or circuit you are on is questionable or the utility causing voltage spikes? I'm on overhead power at this house and have all my sensitive electronics plugged into various UPS's and they will flicker from time to time when the utility power isn't up to snuff. Although the bedroom TV and the one in the basement aren't on these and have lasted the longest.
21.gif

Last edited:
Most newer TVs work fine they just hate travel and break easily during transport, the newest thinnest sets are the most fragile, I have broken 3 LCDs, 1 during lightening and 2 during travel

Sucks but it is what it is

Don't like it?

Big 27" + CRTs are cheap or free and work great on old video games

Good luck

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
My 56" Samsung DLP 1080P television is 12 years old and works good as the day I bought it. I replaced one bulb in it, not because the old one burned out, but because they're supposed to only last 5-6 years and I was on year 10 and didn't want any surprises. I paid $2,700 for this TV new though, I doubt the cheap sub-$1000 TVs get you an semblance of quality.

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
Most newer TVs work fine they just hate travel and break easily during transport, the newest thinnest sets are the most fragile, I have broken 3 LCDs, 1 during lightening and 2 during travel

Sucks but it is what it is

Don't like it?

Big 27" + CRTs are cheap or free and work great on old video games

Good luck

You would be wrong making that assumption.

Last edited:
My dad got a 50" LG LED and one of the backlights went out or something along the edge, you could see it easily while watching hockey with the white background. I told him to warranty it, but I don't think his vision is acute enough to notice. It happened within six months IIRC.

I remember when you can actually repair TV's. Now they are considered disposable and potentially hazardous especially earlier flatscreens with CCFL backlighting.

Besides price you have to consider which retailer will have the most caring staff so the goods don't get slammed about during transport.

I've often wondered about that.

My brother had to go through 2 or 3 washers before the company got him one which worked. That could've been a production line error.

See my Samsung repair post....two years old. Neighbor gave it to me as I'd never disassembled one before. Due to a faulty LED backlight, the constant current backlight driver increased the voltage > 200Vdc if I recall. Backlight strips are not designed to handle this, so one began burning from a weak spot outwards. Result was arcing as long as the set was plugged in.

That's a major fire hazard in my world.

Put two new backlight stips in it, which fixed the arcing, but the panel showed vertical stripes: Tango Uniform.

Gave it to a shop who confirmed the deal panel.

This was about a $400 TV that only last two years.......

I've had good luck on the last 5-6 I've either purchased for myself or installed for relatives.

Except for ones showing up DOA(shattered during shipment)

One particular RCA from sears took 4 tries to find one that worked.

And a nice vizio M series from bestbuy took 3 tries.

Originally Posted by CT8
It is a good thing TVs are inexpensive.

Yes but i am going to use this old zenith till it quits i only use it for local news or watch some reruns of gun smoke.

Our 75" Samsung LED just went south at 4 years and 9 months, but we had the 5 year extended warranty from Sam's Club and they shipped out a new TV. When the repair shop called to let us know it wasn't repairable (cost was greater than a new TV), he went on and on regarding the poor design of the Samsung backlit display LED TVs and how many he sees in his repair facility. Not sure if the OP's TV was the same design, but after listening to the guy from the repair facility, a quick google search definitely uncovered lots of issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back