5-40 shell rotella for everything

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thinking about using 5-40 Shell Rotella synethic oil in everything I own. That incluces Ford cars, Tech powered snow blower, Honda Generator, B&S powered lawn mower, B&S powered pressure washer, Sears mower etc. One oil in everything, nice and simple.
5-40 to replace 5-30, 10-30, 10-40 and 30wt.

Any concerns, see any potential problems???

ghost, have been running 5-40 Rotella for over a year in assorted water cooled motorcycle engines with great success. Winter and summer it seems to work fine. Soon its going into lawn tractors and push mowers. Havn't run it in the 4 wheeled vehicles that call for 5-30. Using Mobil1 5-30 in the cars and trucks.
wink.gif

Nope ghost, this sounds good.

If I was better convinced of this oil's barrier anti-wear package, I'd be tempted to use it in everything too.
dunno.gif

Mobil 1 0W-40 and M1 Delvac 1 5W-40 would also be good choices ... but they aren't as economical as Rotella 5W-40.
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

I decided to save some money and quit using GC in my cars. I switched to Rotella and am very happy.

I was running M1 10w30 in my 15hp Kawasaki mower and switched near the end of last season to M1 5w40 T & Suv. It seems to purr on this oil. I don't know if it's good or bad but sounds fine and runs smoooth.

I am running 5W-40 Rotella in my pushmower and tiller (both 3.5hp Briggs powered) a Generac 7.8 hp generator, a 1946 Ford 2N tractor, and my '95 GMC Jimmy (171,000 miles-mostly on Rotella). The aircooled engines really seem to love the stuff, and my Jimmy actually had a slight mileage increase even-though GM doesn't recommend a 40 weight oil for the 4.3 litre V-6.

I use Mobil 1 T&S blends in both cars and the truck, and I just started using it 100% in the lawn mower. Now when I use the lawn mower Led Zepplin plays in the background, scantily clad babes crowd around me, I wear designer jeans instead of a t-shirt and Carhartts..... (not :^)

So we are all in agreement that it is OK to ignore the motor manufacturer's recommended oil and exceed the vis recommendations.

Is the OK only when subsituting Syn oil where there is limited vis improvers?

"So we are all in agreement that it is OK to ignore the motor manufacturer's recommended oil and exceed the viscosity recommendations."

The manufacturers' recommendations are over-simplified and don't make a whole lot of sense. XW-30 oils shear down quickly, even some synthetics.

I use 10W-30 in my newest snowblower ... but change it out after 10 hours or less. And after about three years, I'll be switching to a XW-40. If it is stored where it is heated, I'll be using a 15W-40.

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by ghost:
I thinking about using 5-40 Shell Rotella synethic oil in everything I own. That incluces Ford cars, Tech powered snow blower, Honda Generator, B&S powered lawn mower, B&S powered pressure washer, Sears mower etc. One oil in everything, nice and simple.
5-40 to replace 5-30, 10-30, 10-40 and 30wt.

Any concerns, see any potential problems???

Sounds like a good idea to me. Just a 0W40 in the generator might be better in the winter. It's hard to beat the Rotella T 5W40 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back