Ram 1500 pentastar oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

I just did the first oil change on the Ram in my sig. I put 7500mi on the oil/filter that was put in by the GMC/Buick dealer I bought the truck from. Anyway, I've owned one other Pentastar equipped vehicle, which was our 2013 Grand Caravan and I always did my own oil changes on it. I don't quite recall this anomaly with our Grand Caravan, but with my 2017 Ram, the owner's manual specs 6qts with filter change. After changing the oil and filter and 5min of idle time to check for leaks (engine already warm), 6qts wouldn't even read on the dipstick. It took 6.5-7qts to read on the stick?

At least 6.5-7qts of used oil drained out.

FWIW, with 7500mi on the oil, the oil life monitor was only down to 28%. I'd probably be at 10000mi if I ran it to zero life. Super easy and mess free oil change on the Pentastar powered Ram. A little tough to reach the oil filter housing. I needed a step stool to reach it well.

Glad it is so easy! I wonder if the manual had a typo on oil amount.

When I had my 2011 1500 I needed a step to stand on to comfortably fill the 5.7. I am 6'1 btw and need a step to comfortably do anything under the hood of my 3500.

Overall how do you like the engine/transmission in a half ton truck?

I've read of a few other posts in regards to this on 1-2 Ram forums. No real answer though. I hear you on the height of the truck thing! The pentastar is so small looking under the hood you can about climb right in there between the radiator and engine.

I absolutely LOVE the truck and the engine/trans combo. It was an impulse purchase on my part given the deal I got on it and the fact I really don't need a truck. I've averaged 24-25mpg tank to tank calculating it by hand since I've owned it and that is with mixed driving, but heavy on the straight highway with speeds up to 75mph.

The PentaStar is a good engine. It's nice that it's offered in the Ram for those that don't need the bigger V8 / diesel options.

Glad it is working out! We are still researching a replacement for our trailblazer. In a few years we want to upgrade but due to our location we are limited: Gravel roads destroy low vehicles, the body on frame, true 4w4 vehicles are king. Looking at a Ram 1500 with the 3.6. Much cheaper than a 4runner, Tahoe and good mileage to boot. Plus it could tow a small horse trailer and have a bit of payload.

The Pentastar in my brother's wrangler holds 6 quart exactly per the manual and dipstick.

It's a cable style dipstick with a molded pill shaped thing at the end with the low and high marks.

^ Same style dipstick on my 2017 Ram 1500 Pentastar. The OM states the Hemi takes 7qts and the Pentastar takes 6qts. I was just curious if any other Ram 1500 Pentastar owners here have found the same thing with nothing showing on the stick w/ 6qts.

Originally Posted By: JTK
^ Same style dipstick on my 2017 Ram 1500 Pentastar. The OM states the Hemi takes 7qts and the Pentastar takes 6qts. I was just curious if any other Ram 1500 Pentastar owners here have found the same thing with nothing showing on the stick w/ 6qts.

I thought maybe it had an incorrect dipstick.

Use the Wix XP/Napa Platinum filter. It has a wire mesh that might prevent buckling. The Fram Ultra for this application is a plastic mesh, and they still buckle.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

That would be my guess also. I have owned two different Pentastars also and they were 6 quarts even.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Use the Wix XP/Napa Platinum filter. It has a wire mesh that might prevent buckling. The Fram Ultra for this application is a plastic mesh, and they still buckle.

Thanks, it was a Napa gold. It looked like a better filter than the made in China no-name I pulled out of the truck that was likely installed by the GMC/Buick dealer I bought the truck from.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

That would be my guess also. I have owned two different Pentastars also and they were 6 quarts even.

That's my concern! I'm confident the Pentastar in my 2013 Grand Caravan used 6qts.

FWIW, the p/n on the dipstick is 68154682AB. Best I can tell, this is the proper stick for the 3.6L.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back