PUP 5w30 and Fumoto valve for my Subaru Crosstrek

Status
Not open for further replies.
I gave my stash of NAPA 5w30 synthetic to a friend that is going through really tough times. He is at 17,000 miles on conventional oil in his 2017 Kia Optima FE. Yikes.

I am going to order a 5 quart jug of PUP 5w30 from Amazon for $24.97 plus there is a $10 MIR. $15 for great oil, ya!

I am going to ask Subaru service center to install my new Fumoto valve (F-108) on my next, and last freebee, oil change.

The Fumoto valve came with a black plastic clip which is cool. I will definitely use it.

Question about the Fumoto valve. The package shows a tube hooked up to the valve. Do you guys attach a tube to your Fumoto valve, or does it work just fine without a tube.

I could simply go to Home Depot and buy a foot of tubing, but do I need to?

naaa,

It run out the fumoto valve slower than removing the drain plug but its not hard to get it lined up with a oil pan. Do allow more time for the oil to grain though.

Originally Posted By: Voleak
The package shows a tube hooked up to the valve. Do you guys attach a tube to your Fumoto valve, or does it work just fine without a tube.

I could simply go to Home Depot and buy a foot of tubing, but do I need to?

I have Fumoto valves on all three vehicles ... I use the tubing and drain directly into an old 5 quart jug for recycling.

I don't have the tube on my valves. It wasn't an option at the time. Works with no issues. Wonder if the stealer would install it for you. I was paranoid when I installed mine.

Used the blue supplied washer and a metal crush washer also to make sure it never leaks. Also wanted to get it lined up properly where it's pointing downwards. Not sure if it's possible to install it where it's snug but not pointing directly downwards?

Originally Posted By: newtoncd8
I have Fumoto valves on all three vehicles ... I use the tubing and drain directly into an old 5 quart jug for recycling.

Ahh, great idea. Perfect for no mess at all, and easy recycling. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: JC1
I don't have the tube on my valves. It wasn't an option at the time. Works with no issues. Wonder if the stealer would install it for you. I was paranoid when I installed mine.

Used the blue supplied washer and a metal crush washer also to make sure it never leaks. Also wanted to get it lined up properly where it's pointing downwards. Not sure if it's possible to install it where it's snug but not pointing directly downwards?

I hope the dealership will install it, as I am a bit nervous to do it myself. It does have the blue washer, so I will mention the metal crush washer to them, too.

Im no mechanic but I don't think I would use two washers. It sounds like you would have more surfaces and seals to cause problems or leak. I would stick with one good seal.

Originally Posted By: mcwilly
Im no mechanic but I don't think I would use two washers. It sounds like you would have more surfaces and seals to cause problems or leak. I would stick with one good seal.

I would agree. The (included) blue washer actually works really well ... I have used the Fumoto valve on many of our vehicles over the years, have always used the blue washer and never had one leak.

Originally Posted By: newtoncd8
Originally Posted By: mcwilly

I would agree. The (included) blue washer actually works really well ... I have used the Fumoto valve on many of our vehicles over the years, have always used the blue washer and never had one leak.

That makes sense. Stacking washers does sound like a recipe for leaks. Thank you.

My fumoto is orientated horizontally but I skip the tubing and place a funnel inside the top of the disposal jug. Works fine and easy enough to clean the funnel afterwards compared to dealing with oily tubing.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
My fumoto is orientated horizontally but I skip the tubing and place a funnel inside the top of the disposal jug. Works fine and easy enough to clean the funnel afterwards compared to dealing with oily tubing.

Excellent idea, thanks.

I have been using Fumoto valves on all our families vehicles since learning about them here and wouldn't use anything but. They are great.

Originally Posted By: hemitruck
Always been afraid that road debris could get kicked up and open the fumoto while driving.

A number of people have been using these off road, or soft road... gravel, logging, rocks, etc without any problems. There is an optional locking clip you can get that will add an extra layer of security just in case. Especially on a street car that doesn't have any kind of extra skid plate (or bash plate).

I had a Fumoto Valve on my 2014 Crosstrek. Just use the blue washer and install it using an open ended wrench. Easy Peasy

Have had a Fumoto Valve on my Subaru in signature since 2014. Used the blue washer that came with the valve & never a drip or leak from it. Fumoto Valve on all vehicles in signature & would not have it any other way!!!
wink.gif

Dale

I've had mine open slightly while driving. Mine never came with a clip. I use two zip ties to ensure it stays shut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back