2016 BMW i3 REx- Two Year Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
As some of you know, I took advantage of an insanely cheap 24 month/10k miles per year lease on a fully optioned i3 REx; unfortunately, all good things come to an end, and today I turned it in. The return process was very simple and I was not dinged for any wear and tear.

I would definitely consider another electric in the future(RWD of course). The reliability was flawless and the car did not require any unscheduled trips to the dealer. In fact, the car only saw the dealer service bay twice- for two 10k/annual mile oil changes and inspections, for which I paid nothing. One door gasket was replaced under warranty due to a tear and I replaced one tire after hitting a pothole. I refueled it twice, both times requiring @1 gallon. We ran the battery down to the point that the IC engine kicked on a total of four times. If the IC motor hasn't run for 2k miles/90 days the car automatically starts it and runs it a 10 minutes in "maintenance cycle"- and when the IC motor was running it was almost always due to the maintenance cycle.

The i3 was perfect for my wife and I; we used it for our short commutes to work and to run errands around town. That allowed us to just use the Level 1 110v volt charger, which was able to fully charge the car overnight- longer commutes and tripswould have required a Level 2 charger. It handled much better than you would think due to the low center of gravity, and the instantaneous torque from 0 rpm was a lot of fun- I surprised more than a few cars at the Stoplight Grand Prix. The only downside is the price; if I wanted to own an i3 I'd pick up a used one that was 2-3 years old for under $25k- I think that's a great deal. Just remember that the car is a suburban/urban runabout, not a long distance cruiser. For most Americans, an i3 couldn't serve as an only car, but for my wife and I it made for a very entertaining 2 years.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
The return process was very simple and I was not dinged for any wear and tear.
Did you have any dents in it? Significant scratches? I have a lease going now, and I'm wondering if they will ignore small dents and scratches when the time comes to turn it in.

I would definitely consider another electric in the future(RWD of course).
Why "RWD of course"? I have a FWD Ford Focus Electric and luv it.

The i3 was perfect for my wife and I; we used it for our short commutes to work and to run errands around town. That allowed us to just use the Level 1 110v volt charger, which was able to fully charge the car overnight- longer commutes and tripswould have required a Level 2 charger. It handled much better than you would think due to the low center of gravity, and the instantaneous torque from 0 rpm was a lot of fun- I surprised more than a few cars at the Stoplight Grand Prix. The only downside is the price; if I wanted to own an i3 I'd pick up a used one that was 2-3 years old for under $25k- I think that's a great deal. Just remember that the car is a suburban/urban runabout, not a long distance cruiser. For most Americans, an i3 couldn't serve as an only car, but for my wife and I it made for a very entertaining 2 years.

Ditto here with my Ford Focus EV. Great running-around vehicle. Fun to drive, smooth, fast from a stop. Has that great Focus control-blade rear suspension and good steering, solid feel. We use 120v charging as well, as it charges at 4 miles added per hour, and overnight usually completes it for the short daily commutes we do and errand running on the weekends. Perfect 2nd car really. Low maintenance. Mine was cheap to buy at $15k new after all rebates.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Did you have any dents in it? Significant scratches? I have a lease going now, and I'm wondering if they will ignore small dents and scratches when the time comes to turn it in.

I used to work at a BMW dealer and handled most of the lease returns; If a dent or scratch fit within a 2" diameter circle there was no charge.

Why "RWD of course"? I have a FWD Ford Focus Electric and luv it.

Just personal preference.

Ditto here with my Ford Focus EV. Great running-around vehicle. Fun to drive, smooth, fast from a stop. Has that great Focus control-blade rear suspension and good steering, solid feel. We use 120v charging as well, as it charges at 4 miles added per hour, and overnight usually completes it for the short daily commutes we do and errand running on the weekends. Perfect 2nd car really. Low maintenance. Mine was cheap to buy at $15k new after all rebates.

Agreed; electrics make the ideal second car if your commute is relatively short and most of your driving is done in a suburban area.

Give the new Leaf a chance. 151 mile range now. Improved in about every way. They have a ton of experience with making and servicing them too.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Thanks for the write up.

Q: What did you think of the seat material? How was it wearing?

Our i3 had leather seats and they looked like new when I returned the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back