? about rotella T5 10w-30 please

Status
Not open for further replies.
good morn gents. I know this sub forum is mainly pertaining to diesel vehicles. but, if anybody knows the answers to my question I figured y'all would over any other sub forum. so, I bought some rotella T5 10w-30 to do an oc on my 2005 Toyota camry with a 2.4l 4 cyl. I bought the rotella as in my research on here it appears that T5 used to be,hopefully still is, at least sm rated. I looked on the bottle and didn't see anything saying anything pertaining to s anything for gas engines. do y'all know something that the manufacturer is not telling us or what cause I'm sure I've read where T5 is sm rated and folks using it in their gasser car w/o issue? anywho the camry has 248,000 mile on the clock mostly with 10k oci with pp 5w-30 and a wix filter. guess I just got bored,like us oil nuts do sometimes, and wanted to change up a lil. the car uses maybe 1 qt over the 10k oci but no smoking at startup or while running and no leaking. just figured the heavier oil might help some with the oil usage while still providing excellent protection and longer oci. so, in all this I guess I'm asking would T5 be good for my gasser or would the "diesel rated only" oil be not so good for it?
thanks,
Big Ed

I’m sorry but T5 is no longer rated for gasoline engines with catayltic convertors. It no longer has a SM rating or any other gasoline rating. The Rotella products for gasoline engines is limited to T6 5w30 and T6 0w40.

Now for the diesel oil-in-gasoline engine fans to chime in.

I think you can use the Rotella for 6K OCI if you installed it OTW bring it back. Plus you got Winter coming and you likely want a 5W.

Last edited:
Ignore the oil snobs. You will be fine.
thumbsup2.gif

Shame you aren’t closer, I would trade you some PCMO for it. Unfortunately T5 lost its dual rating, but you won’t hurt anything with it, other than potentially damaging a catalytic converter if you burn too much.

like I said the car uses 1 qt in the 10k oci. no smoke or leaks. what,in the shell/Pennzoil line, would be a better choice in y'alls opinion. I still wanna go 10k miles between changes and will most deff keep my wix oil filter but want a robust longevity/add pack which I have in my current pp 5w-30 but just figured the rotella T5 10w-30 would be thicker and maybe cut down on my oil usage. would pp 10w-30 be some what thicker and maybe better for a engine that uses a touch o oil?
thanks,
Big Ed

snaggle that looks great. where in the states can I find this rotella T6 5w-30 that's sn rated???
thanks,
Big Ed
edit to add:looks like o'reilly carries it to the tune of $29.99 for a 4qt jug.............dang!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Ignore the oil snobs. You will be fine.
thumbsup2.gif

This, IMHO. My understanding is HDEO just lost the "S" exemption for higher zinc and phosphorus levels, the exemption expired. Or was that just 40 weights exempted?

Also you can find the other Rotella, T6, for closer to $20 per jug at Walmart. Another (better?)option would be something like Mobil 1 High Mileage in 10w30 at ~$20-25 per 5qt jug(rebate will make it cheaper). It's good stuff. I'm using the M1 HM in 10w30 in my Toyota with 237k miles, many here seem to have a high opinion of this oil.

And with your ambient temps in MS similar to mine you will be fine with 10w30. The above mentioned Toyota I bought new 11/'96 with 11 miles on the odometer. It has not seen anything lighter than 10w30 and many fills with HDEO(5w40 & 15w40). Runs great, uses no oil.

Originally Posted By: whitearrow
snaggle that looks great. where in the states can I find this rotella T6 5w-30 that's sn rated???

Try a distributor, too. NAPA may have it; ours do. Starting TBN is rather high, too.

Up here, it comes in five litre jugs, instead of 4 quart jugs.

well, heck I went to o'reilly and they got me the only (2) jugs of rotella T6 5w-30 multi vehicle in the warehouse. looks like I will pay the $29.99 as nobody seems to carry or stock this oil so no price match. they woulda if I could provide the link or show em on my phone. why I wonder is this oil so scarce??? the nice lady at the register said they usually do this when they are about to change a label or something. I can find plenty T6 5w-40 but there again it doesn't have the sn or sm or any gas engine designation on it either. if anybody has any other thoughts on the T6 5w-30 please post up.
thanks guys,
Big Ed

Check with the distributor, for sure. That would be your best bet on pricing, all things considered. As for availability, this is a fairly new product, not to mention a fairly cutting edge spec, at least from a North American perspective, so these things will take time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back