Motorcycle Break in period?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have few questions for a 2015 CBR300R motorcycle which has less than 300 miles.

Questions are below.

1- I am planning to take a trip of ~450 miles, since bike is still in break in period, should I avoid it or I can do the trip?

2- Should I change the oil before the trip or after I come back from the trip just do both oil and filter change?

Is there anything I should be careful being in break in period?
thumbsup2.gif

Flip a coin twice to decide for both matters. Whatever you do, you will be right.

If it were me, I'd change it now after the initial 300 miles before doing another 450 miles. Then I would change it again after the trip and consider it effectively broken in and treat it to normal change intervals following the trip.

Go easy on the acceleration and top speeds would be my only other advice.

I ride and drive like a grandpa, so for now I plan to ride it as-is and then drop oil and filter after I am back.

Thanks all
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist
If it were me, I'd change it now after the initial 300 miles before doing another 450 miles. Then I would change it again after the trip and consider it effectively broken in and treat it to normal change intervals following the trip.

This .

Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist

This.

But I would change the oil @ 300 miles regardless, I am a believer in early oil changes in new engines.

If you have a lot of freeway miles, then take an off ramp every 20 miles or so, then run thru the gears to get back on. Much safer than trying to very speed on busy 4 or more lanes.

Rod

I have heard a Kawasaki dealer say that the warning label on the tach was just to keep new riders from killing themselves on the way home.

The bike is 3 years old and still on the original oil and filter? I'd change both before the trip, especially since it's a small bike that will probably be at 7000rpm plus most of the trip.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
I have few questions for a 2015 CBR300R motorcycle which has less than 300 miles.

Questions are below.

1- I am planning to take a trip of ~450 miles, since bike is still in break in period, should I avoid it or I can do the trip?

2- Should I change the oil before the trip or after I come back from the trip just do both oil and filter change?

Is there anything I should be careful being in break in period?
thumbsup2.gif

1. Take the bike on a trip

2. Change oil before and then at the 1000 mile mark again

3. Keep RPMs within respectable range (owners manual normally will tell you what that is.

Originally Posted by hpb
So....what did you decide to do?

Originally Posted by maverickfhs
I ride and drive like a grandpa, so for now I plan to ride it as-is and then drop oil and filter after I am back.

Thanks all
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by MotoTribologist
Originally Posted by hpb
So....what did you decide to do?

Originally Posted by maverickfhs

Thanks all
thumbsup2.gif

Ah, thanks, I didn't see that post!

breakin is 30min

warm up to proper temp with blips to not let the cam get worn by idle only
then accel up a hill, u-turn and decel - engine brake back down it ... do this a few times
change oil
ready to race!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back