Cost of Ford CD4E transmission rebuild/replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
I would try a few more drain and fills a week or two apart, and find out what the codes are. If it needs more than $500-$600 of work then get rid of it for something else. You could also look into a junk yard transmission if you can find one with clean fluid.

+1

I would try a different fluid to see if it helps. Specifically, I would try Maxlife, based on my recent experience with it in my Cad.

Edit: check valvoline recommendation first, but they recommend for at least some fords.

Last edited:
I assume this vehicle is used for local commuting rather than long trips.
If that's the case, I'd say run it til it blows.
Then move on.

Originally Posted By: nascarnation
Then move on.

Yes, although I'd like to get it more roadworthy for long trips, it gets good mileage and handles exceptionally well cornering and is comfortable to drive.

Originally Posted By: jongies3
Originally Posted By: nascarnation
Then move on.

Yes, although I'd like to get it more roadworthy for long trips, it gets good mileage and handles exceptionally well cornering and is comfortable to drive.

You can get a reman trans with 3 year warranty for 1300 bucks from Rockauto (+500 core charge).
If you're really wanting to keep the car, I'd go that route.
Given the age of these, most all the ones you find in junkyards will likely have high miles on them.

Data point: my brother-in-law paid $2400 for his '06 Ford Escape CD4E transmission rebuild including removal and installation, and dealing with all the rusted/seized undercarriage bolts. The shop even de-rusted and painted the big steel end cover that these Escape/Mariners have covered by the plastic splash guard...they get nasty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back