Inner fender - factory black rubber coating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea what to call this (besides a string of descriptive words), but can I buy a small can of it to do touch ups?

I'm not talking about plastic pieces that line the fender wells. It's almost as if the metal was given a stubbly/rough rubber-like coating.

Yes you can buy one from any auto parts store. It's called undercoating or rubberized undercoating.

Rubber undercoating actually traps moisture when it begins to flake slightly and can encourage rust. The best is a film that dries on metal surfaces like Krown or Fluid Film.

Thats right but thin wax films do not hold up in fenderwells and rocker panel areas either, they wash away quickly in these high splash areas.
The product I linked to when applied to a clean dry surface bonds tenaciously to the metal and nothing will ever get under it and it resist impacts from stones for a long long time without chipping or cracking.

I like the rattle cans, used in bulk in a gun if you don't get to it quick enough with the solvent to clean it the gun is hosed.
3m IIRC has a clear version that is great for rocker panels.

For frames you must needle scale the rust and clean it well first but this stuff will prevent rust from returning, I did a Ford frame with it about 8 years ago and it remains rust free.

^ Good to know on that Napa stone guard!

I know I've used some different brands and considered some others over the years, but you never know if it's going to be lighter grade, cheap, peely stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back