Tampering with noise control system prohibited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found this in the 2019 GM Silverado owners manual. I wonder what exact Federal law these pertain to? So is it now illegal to put on an aftermarket cold air intake since it allows more noise? LOL

TAMPERING WITH NOISE CONTROL SYSTEM PROHIBITED Federal law prohibits the following acts or the causing thereof: 1. The removal or rendering inoperative by any person, other than for purposes of maintenance, repair, or replacement, of any device or element of design incorporated into any new vehicle for the purpose of noise control prior to its sale or delivery to the ultimate purchaser or while it is in use; or

2. The use of the vehicle after such device or element of design has been removed or rendered inoperative by any person. Among those acts presumed to constitute tampering are the acts listed below.

Insulation: Removal of the noise shields or any underhood insulation.

Engine: Removal or rendering the engine speed governor, if equipped, inoperative so as to allow engine speed to exceed manufacturer specifications.

Fan and Drive: . Removal of the fan clutch, if equipped, or rendering the clutch inoperative. . Removal of the fan shroud, if equipped. Air Intake: .

Removal of the air cleaner silencer. . Modification of the air cleaner. Exhaust: . Removal of the muffler and/or resonator. . Removal of the exhaust pipes and exhaust pipe clamps.

Heaven forbid we hear the sweet roar of a V8.
whistle.gif

Federal law prohibits...

I always get a laugh out of this. Federal law prohibits... Ever see a federal police force in your town enforcing federal laws? I was a local street cop for ten years and never once enforced any federal laws, because I wasn't allowed to with jurisdiction being what it is. I saw one border patrol agent in ten years! That's right, ten years in law enforcement and I saw one federal law enforcement officer in that entire time.

The FBI or US Marshals are not going to inspect your car for compliance with Federal sound levels.

So basically, almost every time you read that federal law prohibits, you can almost always assume that statement to be about worthless and likely unenforced.

It's good to remember that the so called "commerce clause" is the authority cited when the fed-gov wants to regulate a manufacturer's product. Manufacturers must comply.

However, the same cannot be said for privately owned possessions. The commerce clause cannot be invoked to regulate non commercial items you own, at the time you own it (during) . Your state may have that right, but the fed-gov does not. In fact, up until fairly recently, federal laws regarding automotive emission control devices prohibited any shop involved in commerce from altering emission control devices, but did not address the issue of the private owner.

That's since changed, and the law now applies to private owners. If challenged, it's likely to be found unconstitutional, as there is no constitutional basis for such federal regulatory authority over a private individuals personal possessions.

As mentioned above, your state can, and does regulate such. If you get in trouble with what you (not a shop) do on your private vehicle, it's with the state.

Back in 1975 the Feds wanted to weld the hood shut,have no hood,or have a hinged front end with a locked key that only dealerships could access.They wanted a sealed "Power train" that could not be accessed by the owner and DIYer.The fear was that all the added on emissions devices (EGR/Charcoal canister/air injection/PCV/Cat Con) could be defeated and removed and thus create an excessive polluter that no longer met the original federal mandate of said allowable emissions.They shot that idea down but put the fine/jail time in there for a deterrent.I think the only people that have been fined all these years are the parts distributors that got caught selling test pipes for cat con removal...

Originally Posted By: billt460
Remember that Marijuana and illegal immigration is also, "Against Federal Law". Do you think the nation is more worried about "noisy" V-8's?

Come to think of it, bad sounding 4-cylinders should be against the law.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: billt460
Remember that Marijuana and illegal immigration is also, "Against Federal Law". Do you think the nation is more worried about "noisy" V-8's?

Come to think of it, bad sounding 4-cylinders should be against the law.
wink.gif

Subarus...modded ones

I can tell you that Harley Davidson will void the warranty on the bike if it is determined to be out of the EPA certified configuration. It does say that in the owners manual for 2017 and newer bikes.

So every other day I hear motorcycles roaring up and down the roads, some of them almost painfully loud, but I can't put a CAI on my car for a little nicer sound? How about dump trucks, busses, and other OTR vehicles that can drown out normal conversation? Where are the federal noise control laws for them?

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Where are the federal noise control laws for them?

The laws are in place, but I can't see any local, or state LEO enforcing a Federal noise law. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a Federal Enforcement Vehicle ever on a highway.

The locals do, around these parts, to try to break up groups out on weekend nights.
Never heard of it being done for the working man, going to or from work.
But, if a neighbor complains....

manufacturers are QUICK to void warranties to save $$$$ fixing the inferior junk parts used on many vehicles today!! i have motorcycles but agree many VERY LOUD Hardleys with riders jacking the throttle + driving toooo fast locally is a problem!!!

Originally Posted By: Wheel
Does it read the same way in a motorcycle owner's manual ?
It is usually stamped on the motorcycle muffler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back